Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kalahari – Heat Wave (The Dark Continent 2021) Long and Pic Heavy

Default Kalahari – Heat Wave (The Dark Continent 2021) Long and Pic Heavy

Over the last 10 years or so, I have made it my outdoors priority to hunt and fish in different places for new and exciting things. The experience of traveling to new places and seeing completely new things is addicting. In 2017, I experienced Africa for the first time and have desired to go back ever since.
    My time there caused me to thoroughly be bitten by the African bug. The want to stand on the red soil and chase new amazing animals is really something you can’t describe unless you’ve been there.
    In 2019, I purchased a hunt from my same 2017 outfitter that would allow me to bring my wife and both kids. This time instead of the Limpopo province of SA, we would be hunting the Northern Cape and that fit right into something different. Being able to hunt with my kids in such a special place is something that I never thought Id be able to do but it was something I knew I would cherish more than about anything else.
    From the day I purchased this hunt it seemed like something was making it harder and harder to make this dream a reality. First it was 2020 COVID, then it was the SA Riots in July that clouded safety concerns, canceled flights, and in July COVID popped back in SA. My wife and I discussed that we weren’t going to get excited until we were standing at the airport ready to go. Well, we should have said until the plane lands in Johannesburg, because our 9:30am flight on Day 1 out of Charleston is canceled and delayed until the next day. The counter girls first response when I told her my destination was “ No one called you?” MFer, MFer, Mfer. … or something like that
    Well now we must get new COVID tests and a whole different route through Houston that adds 10 hours to our trip. Awesome sauce……….. but at least we are on the way.

IMG_3205.jpg

IMG_3214.jpg

Overnight Stay at the City Lodge at the airport in Joburg, and we are finally off on a cross country adventure!!!

Arrive at our first lodge of the week, and who doesn’t like a 5 star chef on a hunting Safari. A good rum and coke, A good nights rest and in the AM……SAFARI DAY!!

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

Some people say that the first animal you take in Africa should be an impala. They are one of the most iconic and popular animals of Africa, and it was the first one we had the opportunity to go after. Carter was on deck first and had done pretty well recently with all of his shooting, but a spot and stalk in Africa, how do you know? Well sometimes you just do…
    He did a fantastic job sneaking and crawling into position to make a 75 yd shot on a nice ram.
    IMG_3271.jpg

IMG_3279.jpg
    Little Brother was not particularly happy that he wasn’t on the board yet.

IMG_3283.jpg

After a fantastic lunch, we were back on the truck to start looking for some Springbok. My wife was going to try to compete the Springbok slam. Africa gives you the opportunity to hunt something every day if you take what it gives you, but hunting specific animals makes things much more difficult on your time.
    We saw a ton of different animals, and species that we wanted to go after, but nothing was quite right to make a good stalk on. Late in the afternoon, we stumbled on a very nice Black Springbok at a water hole. We had to wait him out for a long while, but she made a great shot and was on the board.

IMG_3338.jpg

Next day rolls around and Little Brother is no happier than he was at lunch time the day before. He needs some trigger time too.
    Even for adults around here, shooting off a set of sticks is a whole different experience, so I brought a small rest and a spotting scope tripod in my bag to make it where he could handle the gun off the truck. He is only seven so Im sure most of you understand the difficulties of getting a small one into position to make a shot in stand. This is a 100% bigger challenge than that.
    After a blown stalk or two and miss on a nice little springbok, we were finally able to get him close enough to a larger animal, by itself, that didn’t have the obstacles of grass or trees.

IMG_3318.jpg

Connection!!!!, and now we are smiling and talking trash to his big brother. Life is normal again.

IMG_3326.jpg

We still had a little more time to hunt that afternoon and were able to get Mom on another really nice Common Springbok. These are some of the coolest little animals. Right when they die, the tuft on the rump splays up and smells like cotton candy. It’s a crazy thing to see.
    IMG_3413.jpg

IMG_0680.JPG

We decided we were going to target a couple of Kudu if we could make it happen, and they presented themselves for the kids to make a move. The Northern Cape has a lot of good Kudu, but they aren’t the massive ones from other parts of the Country. They are still a very impressive and fun animal to hunt. They represent probably the closest thing to our Elk and are pretty dang slick. Also, they are extremely hard to judge for a novice. The PHs over there can just look and tell, but we would pass up monsters that were too young, or older ones that were too small.
    We spotted a nice representative mature Kudu with a few cows and we were able to get in closer for a shot for Carter.

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_3449.jpg

Eland- My first primary plains game target on this trip was Eland. On our last trip in 2017, I never really got to see too many eland or get a good opportunity to go after one. As we were loading Carter’s Kudu to head to the lodge for lunch, we noticed a couple of Eland Cows about a ¼ mile away. We grabbed my 416 and started after them to see if there was a bull. There were actually 2 pretty nice bulls in the group. A slightly younger one with better horns, or this massive bull that I was able to take.
    He soaked up 2 400 Grain A-Frames, but only went about 40 yards. Then we have a problem. It is the largest animal I have ever killed hunting, at somewhere around 1800 pounds moving it is like, well…moving a ton of dead weight. They fill up a Toyota pickup and will smoke a winch.

IMG_3494.jpg

IMG_7302.jpg

IMG_0698.JPG

We spent the rest of the day trying to get on springbok or maybe something for the youngest to go after. It took a bit, but right before we went back to the lodge, we were able to spot a couple of impala rams feeding out in some short grass.
    Little man made an ok shot and after a little searching, we were able to put our hands onto his second animal of the trip.

IMG_3498.jpg

More too come later !!

Awesome trip! You looking to adopt? Im available. My wife has been threatening to throw me out on the streets anyway.

Just awesome. Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to more of this adventure...

Looks like a great time had by all. Congratulations to the young men, your wife and you! Looking forward to the rest of the story…
    Bone....

Awesome trip.

All in what does something like that run (minus airfare) if you don’t mind?

Fantastic! Looking forward to seeing more.

Wow, awesome to take the kids and let them shoot.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Good stuff. Looks like a great trip. Africa is a cool place.

That's awesome!

So cool, one day I want to bird hunt over there.

Jacque! That fellas a trip. Went with those guys 2019. You're not kidding about your first trip getting in your blood. The people make it. Good killing and have fun

That is bad ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    That is bad ass.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Great stuff, thanks for sharing! That’s an amazing family trip.

The next couple of days we moved to a different property a few hours away to change things up a bit. This property had Lions, Leopard, Buffalo, Cheetah, and pretty much everything else.
    Super cool experience to get to hunt on foot in an area that had active lions hunting and feeding.

IMG_3568.jpg
    IMG_3517.jpg
    IMG_3576.jpg
    IMG_8613.JPG

We saw tons of good animals and were able to close the deal the 2nd day on a nice Gemsbok for the oldest. He dropped him in his tracks and was excited.

IMG_0714.JPG

We had seen some nice Black Wildebeest the whole time we were on safari, but they do not usually hang around for you to make a move. They are the most running animal I’ve ever seen. You’ve got to have the wind right, and slip in pretty close to get a good look and shot.
    We were able to get within about 100 yards, but the Wildebeest had us pinned down in a thorn thicket. I had to couch in an awkward position for what felt like forever before the Bull would give me a shot. I didn’t make the best shot on him, but he only went about 200 yards. My wife spotted him laying down and we gave him the coup de gras

IMG_0729.JPG

The Mrs. with her White Springbok. Mom is 3 for 3 now with all being DRT.

IMG_3608.jpg

The wife wanted another Zebra for a rug, so I had to oblige.
    IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

Cool trip.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Wow. I can't even imagine.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.