Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Montana

hell yea

Nice

Awesome. Would like to hear about the bear incident too.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Got r done.
    At least I'm housebroken.

High end, congrats

Looks like a good time. And please tell the bear story. I can only read so many more 2th vaccine posts
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Island size paws?

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Looks like a frontal shot from that arrow position. Heck of an animal.
    He was quartering to slightly. You have to keep in mind how big they are. The area between the brisket and front leg is a good sized target. Probably 12 inches. He ran 70 yards and it looked like someone ran through there with a five gallon bucket of blood sloshing and spilling it all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    I really want to do a horse back pack out trip. What outfitter did you use?
    Medicine lake outfitters out of Bozeman. This was my fourth trip with him. Happy to share any info if you want to shoot me your number.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    I can only read so many more 2th vaccine posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlisle View Post
    Medicine lake

The rest of the story…
    We packed in on Monday 9/13. It’s a 15 mile journey that’s hard on a guy that rides a horse maybe twice a year. But worth it
    Day one, it was pretty warm with highs in the low 60s. I did not hear a thing. Covered a good it of ground checking spots I had been to before for sign.
    Day two, ran into a small bull around 8 am. He didn’t make a sound. We saw each other at the same time and he was not sure what I was. I messed with him for about thirty minutes cow
    calling and scraping a tree. He would pace back and forth, frustrated that he couldn’t figure out what was going on. He finally left.
    Day three was very windy. I saw a lot of good sign but I could not hear them and assume they couldn’t hear
    me. I called it at noon, hiked back to camp and took a three hour nap. Recharged for the rest of the week.
    Day four was much cooler. The winds the day before brought in a change in the weather that was welcomed. I left camp at 530 and was where I wanted to be at 7:00. I let out the first bugle and nothing. Always a let down. I eased through the area setting up and calling for the next hour. At 8:00 I had one bugle back at me about a 1/4 mile away. We talked to each other a couple times and I pinpointed his approximate location. He was in a creek bottom below the mountain I was on. Hoping he would come to
    Me, I kept calling and easing in his direction. He stayed in the same general area. The last time he answered me was 1030. He was in the same general area where I had heard him the first time so I figured he would bed down pretty close to that area. I waited until noon and put the sneak on him, picking my way down to the creek. When I got to where I felt like I was close, I set up and waited. I decided not to call until around 330 hoping I could get him on his feet and interested when he should be naturally getting up for the afternoon. At 3:15 I catch movement and here he comes down the ridge about 80 yards from me. I cow call and he looks and then keeps walking. I bugle and he bugles back. He acted like he did not have much interest but turned and started moving in the direction to get downwind of me. I put an arrow in him around 330. He ran straight up hill and died within a minute.

I collected myself and get to work on the meat. I had a ham, shoulder, half the neck and both back straps bagged up when I hear a guttural growl behind me. I assume it’s a bear and start yelling obscenities telling him to get out of here and he leaves for a few minutes. Five minutes later he is above me on the hill growling and tearing shit up. He circles around me and I decide it’s time to cut my loses and try to get the meat i have bagged up out of there. I roll the bags down the hill and start hopscotching them away from the carcass moving one bag 50 yards then bringing the other bag up to it. I do this for about 500 yards and then hang the meat in a tree for the night.

I ended up with 100lbs of meat and the bear got the rest and the antlers. It’s still haunting me but it is what it is. Yes I had a pistol and yes I could have shot (or attempted to shoot) the bear but it’s not worth the hassle that comes with it.

I hiked back in the next day and moved the meat about a mile to the closest trail so we could get the horses to it. Had a nice bull walk right by me on my way in. He never had a clue I was there.

The weather really got good the next two days.There was light sleet on Saturday and Sunday. Monday it snowed like hell on the ride out.

Last edited by Carlisle; 09-25-2021 at 09:04 AM.

Bear took the head and antlers?? Wow, that is unusual. Congrats on the Bull and a great adventure.

My business partner is out today on a once in a lifetime tag draw in WA. I will start a new thread on that today if he scores. They are camped out on some giants.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I left them and did not want to go back since I knew he was in on the carcass. Risk vs. reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlisle View Post
    I left them and did not want to go back since I knew he was in on the carcass. Risk vs. reward.

Totally understood. One heck of an adventure for sure. Congrats again.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.