Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gator skull mount

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    That looks great! Might take some of the above advice and use my local taxidermist who is going to tan the hide as well.

I still have a tag left so I’ll practice a euro on that. I really don’t want to mess this one up because it was my sons first gator hunt. Just he and I and we ended up getting a pretty good one (originally was looking for something a little smaller since just he and I on boat). He has been talking about the hunt ever since lol good times!

13CB3456-8780-4130-BD4B-8DA4BC1329D2.jpg

Here’s a Macerated Skull...

Quote Originally Posted by Longbeard Exterminator View Post
    I do a fair amount of them and a bunch of deer heads. I macerate everything. Maceration is placing that skull in a tub of water and letting the bacteria do its thing. When i do gators I will remove as much flesh as possible and separate the top and bottom jaw. Then zip tip all around the bottom jaw and around the top jaw. Again zip tie it good or you will have a puzzle to deal with. Next I place the zipped tied jaws with the teeth sticking up so they wont fall out. With maceration the teeth will fall out, and the jaws will separate hence the zip ties. I have tanks built for this and keep my water temp at 90 degrees for the cleaning process, but just stick it in a good covered tub and let the heat of the day work on it. Gators are a special kind of STINK just awful. After a few days you can start to remove the teeth. Place these on some cardboard and lay them out as you pull them so you know right where they go once the head is clean. So once the head is clean gently remove both top and bottom jaws from stink tub. Rinse off and place into fresh water with dawn and ammonia. I heat this mixture to 120 deg for degreasing. Swap water out every few days until water is clear and gator skull should be degreased. At this point every thing is clean and nothing stinks. Then you can whiten the skull however you like. I use a strong Peroxide and soak for 24 hours then dry it in the sunlight. Then glue all the bones and teeth back in and your done. You can also spray a clear coat on after finished if you'd like.
    They are a pain to do and several ways to do them.
    This sounds like a process that I’m fine paying someone else $200 to endure. I’ve been saving money on pants
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    This sounds like a process that I’m fine paying someone else $200 to endure. I’ve been saving money on pants
    If we ever get a South Wind my wife hates me lol... STINKY

Just reading back thru some older threads... my BIL has been doing this on the side. He's perfected the process and mostly does deer, but had done hogs and gators as well.

They've turned out really well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    I live in Florida
    Attachment 68700
    I have often thought about a boat like that, painted properly, would be a great coastal SC duck rig.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    I live in Florida
    Attachment 68700
    Nice boat. I'm wanting to put in a build order with Ankona around the first of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.