Thread: For what porpoise?

Default For what porpoise?

Are they whacking 1500 dolphin?

Shocking massacre of nearly 1,500 dolphins sparks outrage
    The dolphins were massacred on a beach in the Faroe Islands.

By
    Joseph Guzman | Sept. 15, 2021

Nearly 1,500 white-sided dolphins were driven by boats and jet skis Sunday into shallow waters where they were killed as part of the hunting tradition known as grindadráp.
    The slaughter is the largest single hunt of dolphins or pilot whales in the semi-independent Danish territory’s history.

While many on the island have long defended the custom, the high number of dolphins killed sparked criticism from some locals.
    The centuries-old tradition of dolphin hunting in the Faroe Islands has been criticized by conservationists for years, but a recent record-breaking slaughter has sparked fresh scrutiny of the practice.

Nearly 1,500 white-sided dolphins were driven by boats and jet skis Sunday into shallow waters where they were killed as part of the hunting tradition known as grindadráp, according to conservation group Sea Shepherd.

America is changing faster than ever! Add Changing America to your Facebook or Twitter feed to stay on top of the news.

The group said it believes the slaughter is the largest single hunt of dolphins or pilot whales in the semi-independent Danish territory’s history and “possibly the largest single hunt of cetaceans ever recorded worldwide.”

“Normally meat from a grindadrap is shared amongst the participants and any remainder among the locals in the district where the hunt place. However there is more dolphin meat from this hunt than anyone wants to take, so the dolphins are being offered to other districts in the hopes of not having to dump it.,” the group said.

Sea Shepherd said the previous record was set in 1940 on the island, when some 1,200 pilot whales were killed.

While many on the island have long defended the custom, the high number of dolphins killed sparked criticism from some locals.

“It was a big mistake,” Olavur Sjurdarberg, chairman of the Faroese Whalers Association, told the BBC. Sjurdarberg did not participate in the hunt.

“When the pod was found, they estimated it to be only 200 dolphins.” he said. “Most people are in shock about what happened.”

Sjurdur Skaale, a Danish MP for the Faroe Islands, told the BBC he visited the beach where the killings took place and said “people were furious.”

The hunt is legal on the islands and is regulated as hunters must have training certificates that qualify them to properly kill the animals.

Witnessing the mass movement of wild animals can seem to be a rebuttal of the disastrous news we hear, daily, of our natural environment. We know they are threatened, in their very choreography, but in the sight of them, the eternal optimism of the human spirit is encouraged to think that all is not lost.

In the past few days we’ve seen moving stories of massed southern right whales feeding off New South Wales. Only then, bitterly, to have the Dantean alternative presented to us, in the piles of bloody dolphin carcases on a quay in the Faroe Islands.

On Sunday 1,428 marine mammals were killed en masse as part of the island’s “Grind” tradition. A particularly harsh word, to anglophone ears, for an exceedingly harsh sight: wild, social, intelligent, intuitive creatures, particularly beloved of human beings, dumped and slumped out of their element like so many sardines.

As emotive as these scenes from the Faroes are, and as ferocious the public and media reaction to them is – not least from some islanders themselves, with claims that the superpod of Atlantic white-sided dolphins that died this week are not a traditional part of the hunt – there are deep cultural contexts for this cull.

There are many narratives of indigenous hunting still being carried out, from Alaska to islands off Indonesia and in the Caribbean. In Taiji, on the south-east coast of Japan, the annual dolphin hunt began on 1 September, conveniently coming after this year’s Olympic and Paralympic Games and avoiding any possible boycott: a bloody sort of games this, with a potential quota of 1,849 cetaceans from nine species.

Whales and dolphins are driven ashore, vocalising their pain as they die, in remote places. That vocalisation being the epitome of distress for animals who live almost entirely in a world of sound, intimately connected by it, the aural, sensory expression of their collectivity. Sound is their place, just as other cetaceans are their “home”.

But perhaps the Faroes incident has hit harder because the islands seem to be within our remit. Geographically too close; too “European”? In fact, the Faroe Islands, despite being within the kingdom of Denmark, have set themselves beyond the reaches of the EU. They have not found it to be in their interests to become part of that project.

We humans set arbitrary limits in our daily hypocrisies and projects. Necessarily. Wild birds shot over Mediterranean shores or abandoned dogs provoke sadness. But every minute of the day we slaughter countless animals for food. We consume animals as units without a thought. What difference is there if a thousand or more dolphins should die?

Is it because of our relentless anthropomorphism? That we project our physical, or idealised selves on to animals? When do wild animals become our pets? Dolphins appear as our alternative selves: perfected, Edenic versions, antediluvian humanoids. Innocents, who left the land before we spoilt it, besporting themselves carelessly in the sea, unburdened by our wants.

What do we want them to be? Performers in dolphinariums, prisoners of our entertainment, paid in fish to act out a part? Millions of tourists each year spend money for this pleasure – the pain of thousands of such animals kept in confinement around the world, from China to Europe and the US – is ignored. Animals who possess culture – as we now know cetaceans do – become assimilated into our culture. It is their fate, and ours, even as we realise that we need to refer to them as a “who”, not a what; as individuals, not a collective mass of otherness.

We put them to our use, whatever we do. And yet. Aren’t we beautiful humans ourselves precisely because of our faults? For all our venalities, our pity, flawed as it is, is to be admired. And if we can’t weep over other species, how can we be expected to weep for ourselves?

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...isks-hypocrisy

Do they taste good?
    Sorry, I didn't read all that

That'll make a New Jersey cat lady Flipper lid.

I won't lie, I'm not a fan of killing 1500 dolphins and not having a place to put all the meat, it's wasteful. With that said, if it's legal/ethical, I won't bash any form of hunting whether I agree with it or not, it's not my place to tell them where/what/how to hunt.

I wouldn't want to kill that many dolphins, but I'd go do that hunt if I were invited and it was scaled down a good bit and not akin to literally "fish in a barrel".
    Last edited by huntinghagen#12; 09-15-2021 at 04:25 PM.

I’m all for it fish population would boom if we could do that here

I’m all for it IF they did it using traditional methods.

Corralling them with jetskiis and boats puts one hell of an unfair advantage.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

They say it’s for the fish. Need whack on some blacktips at the jetty’s as well. Not sure how they do naturally but damn they’re good at eating sheepshead and flounder that are hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by First Coat View Post
    Do they taste good?
    Sorry, I didn't read all that
    When I worked with DNR I got to dissect one that washed up on the beach (died from pneumonia) I filleted the biggest loin I have ever seen off of that thing….was as tall as me. Darkest red meat I have ever seen. I asked the girl about eating it and she said the amount of mercury in it would prob kill me….I didn’t ask any more questions about eating it after that
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

So how is it "traditional" to corral dolphins with jet skis?Reminds me of how the Cree in Canada get to hunt with Q-beams because its "traditional".
    Last edited by GMAC; 09-15-2021 at 06:50 PM.

I hate dolphins and sea turtles. No benefit whatsoever to me and brings more white yankee women to our coast to try and dictate shitty policy on me.

That blood in the water looks like some cormorant killings I witnessed back in “the good ole days”.

That's a good copy thunder chicken. I now get emotional on valentine's day. It hurts. They are filling up Murray and getting more out of hand.

The Mexicans eat the shit out of them in Cabo. They aren’t dying of Mercury
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Gotta put something in tuna cans.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.