Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall Food Plot mixes

Default Fall Food Plot mixes

Over the years I've gravitated to a single mix spread across all food plots equally. Some years they turn out better than others, mostly rain dependent in my opinion, but I know I could be doing some things better (ex. soil tests).

I have roughly 2ac spread across 5 plots....soil varies in all of them from red clay to rocky black dirt to sandy river bottom stuff.

Fertilizer rate of 400lbs of 13-13-13 per acre.
    Every other year I spread 1000lbs per acre of lime into the plots....can't get a lime truck into my place.

Been planting a mix/per acre that looks like this.
    30lbs oats
    30lbs wheat
    5lbs crimson clover
    5lbs purple top turnips

I don't have a drill, so I mow, spray, fertilize/lime, disc, broadcast wheat/oats, drag, top sow the turnips/clover, pray for rain.

In the absence of a soil test, I'll get to it next year, what do you see above in my seed mix (or anything else) that needs tweaking?

Most of our plots are a durana/patriot mix. I maintain them by mowing, spraying, and then fertilizing them with 0-20-20 every fall. Then I will “freshen up” any older plots where the clover is getting thin. Another practice I am beginning to adopt is to disturb the soil in areas with high sunlight next to my plots in late winter/early summer to promote natural Forbs and legumes such as Ragweed and Partridge Pea, the science on deer use of these natural things is very very interesting. And can be achieved for very very little cost. I apologize for ranting...to answer your question if what you are doing is working then I’d stick to it! It looks great to me! I like the durana/patriot mix because I do not have to go back and plant each plot each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I’ve gone to oat and winter peas only, easy , cost effective and can handle plenty of pressure. I only kill 20 or 30 a year so I’m sure someone with a lot mor experience will chime in shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    I’ve gone to oat and winter peas only, easy , cost effective and can handle plenty of pressure. I only kill 20 or 30 a year so I’m sure someone with a lot mor experience will chime in shortly.
    Hahaha those bean goats gotta go!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

You'd be surprised what a soil test will tell you. I'm excessive in phosphorus so any fertilizer I use has to have a zero in the middle. Also I've switched to fast acting lime it only takes 9 30lb bags to equal a ton of bag lime. I use pretty much the same blend as you but Include rye.

I do soil test most years and don't put lime down nearly as often as you do.

Try adding some rape seed to your blend. I use a premix fall blend that has rape, diakon radish, oats, Austrian winter peas, some clover etc. and the rape gets eaten first. That sucks because when I'm out inspecting and grazing, I try to find the rape leaves to taste and they are scarce.

Going to try and mix things up this year. Usually plant a mix of clover(s), rape, oats and wheat. Going to buy a bag of black oil sunflowers and throw in with the wheat and oats. Give them something cheap to eat on while the other stuff has a chance to get going.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Drilled about 7 acres of winter wheat, peas and oats. Farmers exchange in rock hill will pre mix and was competitive and easy to deal with
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I like mixon seed company fall buck brunch

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    Going to try and mix things up this year. Usually plant a mix of clover(s), rape, oats and wheat. Going to buy a bag of black oil sunflowers and throw in with the wheat and oats. Give them something cheap to eat on while the other stuff has a chance to get going.
    I am doing something similar. We did not get any summer plots in so starting in august I did 4 acres in 3 different plots of soybeans and peas. Replant every month. So far it’s worked like a dream. When we plant fall food plots I’m going to add soybeans and peas to my normal wheat, oats, crimson and durana. That way they have something early.

i'm lazy as fuck and plow and spread by hand and shit grows and i kill shit and eat it and have extra time to be an asshole.

hope this helps
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Going to try something new next year. No till with a mix of buckwheat and vetch about 7 to 8 weeks before I plan on planting. I just buy a already mix seed bag from Verdins in Laurens. I think it has rye, wheat, oats, sugar beats, radish, rape, and crimson clover maybe one or two other things. I plan on throwing the seed out then spraying and laying down the buckwheat and vetch. I will throw 2 separate plantings about 2 to 3 weeks apart. I normally do not do a soil test just throw out some triple 17 each year seems to work just fine. I mean its a food plot not a front lawn at the white house.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    I just buy a already mix seed bag from Verdins in Laurens. I think it has rye, wheat, oats, sugar beats, radish, rape, and crimson clover maybe one or two other things.
    Im trying the verdin mix this year as well. I hope it’s not 90% rye seed. I’ll find out later today when I pick it up.

what does Verdin's prices look like this year? Found wheat at $29.00 a bag and thought that a bit high.

Quote Originally Posted by stant View Post
    what does Verdin's prices look like this year? Found wheat at $29.00 a bag and thought that a bit high.
    $39 a bag for basically 95% oats. (I hope oats and not rye grass)

Figures, but I’m not the farmer, it ain’t my show, I’m just here to help.

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    $39 a bag for basically 95% oats. (I hope oats and not rye grass)

Figures, but I’m not the farmer, it ain’t my show, I’m just here to help.
    Mostly oats. Seemed like the apt mix of what each would be per acre if i was to mix it myself.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Winter peas and white clover are ice cream to deer!
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 09-16-2021 at 05:34 AM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

At the end of the day it really don't matter what you plant, when you plant or how you plant if you don't get the rain the good lord is providing this morning.

I’d skip the rye and wheat. Oats , preferably naked oats are way better as far as nutrients. Also if your supplier has 17 17 17 you’ll use less of it. And definitely do soil samples. Easy and will tell you exactly what each plot needs
    80-20 Genaration

Army worms have been and still are bad.
    Take that as a PSA before you go planting early food lots full of grain that worms love to eat!
    Good luck....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE