Thread: Seat Cover for Big Dogs

Default Seat Cover for Big Dogs

Probably over thinking this but still thought I'd seek the brain trusts input. No more trucks for me as I'm on my second Expedition. Lab joining the family again soon. Are there any pros or cons to the multitude of different seat cover things on the market? Waterproof and functional vs. overpriced name brands that suck? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I already found the Canvasback products for the rear cargo area a few years ago but if there is something better for a wet dog in an SUV please feel free to let me know. Thanks...

Can’t really help but I’ll give my two cents, take it or leave it.

Best thing would be for you to put a tied down kennel in the back of your Expedition.

A 100 pound flying dog rarely end wells for you or the dog in a major collision.

I'm with Fullchoke. Buy a kennel and keep him in it. Your interior will appreciate it along with everyone who rides with you.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I had one of those Boyt things once for my back seat in an old truck. I don't think about consequences.

Kennel in trunk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kennel would definitely be safer. If you go with seat covers the Mud River stuff is the tits.

Ok I hear you all on kennel. Makes sense. Do I want a certain type or will any kennel do the trick?

Mud river is good stuff. Can't speak for waterproofness. When the dog is wet he goes in the kennel.

Marathon seat covers or a Gunner kennel.

I ordered a set of marathons back in June… still waiting

Good gracious....those gunner kennels are rather rich. I guess dog kennels are a fashion statement now like coolers?

No need for a gunner kennel just for the back of an expedition. Standard plastic kennel will do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcid_Fowler View Post
    Good gracious....those gunner kennels are rather rich. I guess dog kennels are a fashion statement now like coolers?
    Check out the testimonies on those. It's not about fashion. If you do a lot of traveling and want to keep your dog safe in the unfortunate event that you were to get in an accident, they work. Period.

I’ve had the same mud river seat cover for three trucks and has been great.

I have a Mud River backseat cover it works well. However, in my last two vehicles, I have the captain's chair back seat and my dog lays down on the floorboard now on the seat of Weathertech mats. The laying down part is the best for safety. The biggest mistake for most is buying a kennel that is too big, specifically too tall. From everyone that knows more than me, the kennel should be big enough to lie down but not big enough for the dog to hold it head above its shoulders while standing to encourage them to lie down. Good luck, MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Board Member
    Cherokee Foothills Hunting Retriever Club