Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom seed mixes

Default Custom seed mixes

All the food plot talk got me thinking. Anyone have a place make them a custom blend and bag it? Like 50lb bags. There was a place near the house that used to do it but they went out of business. Like I'd like to call the place and have them mix certain seeds in certain ratios for me. Is there a place that does that? I feel like farmers service center would but I'm afraid to call the old man that runs it.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I've had custom mixes put into a large pull behind spreader before, but never in bags.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Mr Luther in St Matthews would love to help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd check with this crew if you're willing to drive to Winnsboro....the guys at the counter have mentioned mixing blends before.

http://www.scfarmgardenwildlife.com/

Normally buy the seeds and mix myself. They always have open bags and will sell partials.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I get Dillon at Williams Seed in Campobello to custom mix what we use at my club. I did not like the larger seeds mixed with the smaller seeds that would get planted to deep. He takes oats, wheat, winter peas and mixes in one bag and clover, turnips, radishes, and rape in the other bag. Based on how many bags you are getting, he will figure out the ratio to put in each bag. We use a 6 row planter for the bigger seeds and use hand spreaders after finishing to put the small seeds on top and let the rain settle them in. This method has worked great for us the last few years and his prices are hard to beat.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

Fred at SC Farm & Garden in Winnsboro will do the same but is a good bit higher. He is a good friend and hunter though.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

Winnsboro ain't far. And the barn expresss has fried chicken every day

Farm & Garden are good people. Its a haul for me but I buy there when I can.

Little Mill Seed Co. in Dillon will mix and I think they also apply coatings.

Address: 367 Arnette Rd, Dillon, SC 29536
    Phone: (843) 841-7373

What mix you got in mind?
    Last edited by StrutnBPS; 08-10-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Winnsboro ain't far. And the barn expresss has fried chicken every day
    I miss the Barn.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    I miss the Barn.
    Fried chicken, fried tilapia, and pork chops on the buffet on the same day will hurt your ass

Hancock seed out of Florida has a few pre-mixes for deer, duck, greens mix, doves, etc. I usually order and mix myself. They send out text messages offering free shipping and other deals periodically.

Gonna call wannamaker and the place in Campabello for sure. We usually drill peas, oats and winter rye. Then go back and broadcast all the small seeds kinda like rooster mentioned.

Anyone got a specific blend they like?

Check out some of these seed mixes that the guys at Land and Legacy came up with. I wouldn’t mind trying some out if shipping wasn’t so expensive. Someone (I vote 2th, he’s great with QDMA soybean orders) coordinate a group order!

https://gostrattonseed.com/products/wildlife-seed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those look good Johnny. I wouldn't mind ordering from them. I also have ordered from Hancock seed and like their stuff but obviously shipping makes that cost prohibitive

I just mix wheat and oats about 50/50 and lightly till in. Then we go back and plant a combo of two clovers, turnips, and rape and drag in. Finally I will top sow some of the same small seed combo usually right before rain. Works well for us. Thinking about adding some cereal rye this year due to a recent soil test. Anyone ever tried it?

We mow, spray, chisel plow, till, then drill. We don't even cover the small stuff like radishes, turnips, clovers and rape. The tiller usually leaves dirt fluffy enough for small seeds to fall into. Even after the little drill goes over it.

I've never understood mixing 5 or 6 different seeds and planting together. Just a scam to attract hunters. Different seed sizes and varieties require different planting methods. Some plants produce 5x the forage when planted alone. Buy your seeds separately and try to mimic how farmers plant them to maximize yield. A sunflower mixed with anything is gonna pretty much suck. Same with a turnip. Same with milo. Same with corn. Same with clover.

yep. you get a seed mix that has all sorts of neat stuff in it and you cant wait to watch it grow. you plant it and its all green and deer eat it and you think its the best shit ever. but if you took the time to go look, half the shit you thought you grew didnt grow for shit and all the green looking stuff is rye or wheat
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.