Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What I learnt Sunday offshore!

Default What I learnt Sunday offshore!

Just because u can don't mean you should but I'd do it again in a skinny minute
    Yamahas don't last forever.
    Tilefish are out of season by a few days
    Nobody fishes 70 miles out on Sundays but cargo ships travel
    There's some kind of fish at 600ft that will straighten a hook when it gets 100ft from the surface.
    Coast Guard station Charleston has a damn good radio system.
    Georgetown station does not.
    They are concerned about your well being and will ask you every ? on their checklist I assume.
    Yamahas will idle at low speed for hrs and get you to within 55 miles and 150ft anchorable depth before they shut down if your lucky.
    BOATUS and TOWBOAT will take your insurance premium but won't tow you from past 20 miles, per USCG We had BOATUS tow insurance, they denied tow says USCG, yet to actually check on these facts/statement as of today.
    When they say they sending a small boat out of GT, small is 44ft to them.
    The boys from GT station will make you at home on their lil boat.
    7 miles an HR is slow from 55 miles and another 15 to the city docks, 10 hrs slow.
    Twin diesels pulling a 23 ft CC, turning 1250rpm burns 6 gallons an HR per motor.
    When you get to the dock 24 hrs later, box full of triggers, porgy, scamp, etc, everyone was safe, brother had to drive to Little River while I pretended to play dead in boat waiting on him and trailer.
    PRICELESS!
    Looking for a used Yamaha 200hp HPDI low hrs.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Hahaha. Days like that sure do suck. I really don’t understand tow boat and sea tow, I know for a fact they have towed in from 60 miles before and never said a word about the distance then the next day they say that they won’t.

You run 70 miles offshore with a single motor?

Yes, usually only 60-65 but it was so nice Sunday, what's another 10 to go from 150 to 600+ ft, it's what we bought them high dollar electric reels for, deep dropping.
    The old saying ya need twins finally came true after many days and hrs out yonder.
    I've been going offshore in some form of boat for 30+ years now. 30 yrs ago I blew one up at 11 miles and the dive boat towed me in. Cost me a hundred 100.00, sold my 13 kingfish for the tow bill.
    We poor boys, 23ft single engine, Sea Hunt till death. I did own a 23 ft SeaFox with twins for many years. No payments to the bank and don't need 3 "friends" to help pay fuel bill to go out.

I pulled a boat from the hole to Marlin Quay one night. Turns out that 3208’s have a solenoid, and if it fails, the engine will shut down. We had a bottle of liquor in the front boat so we were okay.

Choose one, a back alley Guatemalan colonoscopy or being towed to the Gtown Coast Guard dock...

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    Yamahas don't last forever.
    No one Will believe you, yamahas never/can’t fail... Any idea what happened?

Glad you made it back in safely with a good story to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by blackstock View Post
    You run 70 miles offshore with a single motor?
    A lot of issues you see are fuel related which don’t care if you have 1 or 4 motors.

And only bluelines are closed, goldens are open

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Towboat changed their unlimited coverage areas out of several places in the not too distant past. Charleston was 100 miles at one point, now it is 25. Georgetown Towboat is 25 and Murrells Inlet is 75. Depending on where you were I get it that you were out of their coverage area. I guess my question is whether Sea Tow would have come? Their terms and conditions are different.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Choose one, a back alley Guatemalan colonoscopy or being towed to the Gtown Coast Guard dock...
    Is a Guatemalan colonoscopy the same as eating gas station sushi?

Isn't a Guatemalan colonoscopy a quaalude and a champagne enema? If so, I will take that over being towed by CG anywhere.
    DILLIGAF

We were 55 miles from GT buoy and 60 from Little River, we were past the scarp.
    We put in at LR.
    I've been nervous, a lil scared on the ocean before, this time other than knowing it was going to be costly and time consuming, no worries. Calm seas, warm temps, not sinking, plenty food, 3 batteries, EPIRb, life jackets, you name it, we prepare. Water pump was changed week before. It sounded like a bearing/bushing, almost like gimble bearing in an outdrive motor. Motor locked up at 65 miles, told brother let's dump all oil in main tank for double oil, he said it would foul plugs, bro we ain't got many options at this point, we adrift in 500ft water.
    Motor started back up, would go 3.5mph, any harder and bearing was raising hell and ready to go. We under power but main goal was to get to 55 miles and 150 water before she blows. Well we could hear the cylinders one at a time die till we were dead in the water but, bro said they would foul. We could probably got it running again but that double oil would continue to foul plugs. But by this time we had called CG and thought BoatUS was on the way and almost dark. I figured it took them, CG 2.5-3hrs to come out. We fished in 150 till they got there, bites but nothing, fishing over desert. No moon.
    Had this been one of our winter trips, cold water and air temps, you couldn't have shoved a stick pin up my ass but Sunday, just another adventure.
    The GT coast guard guys were very nice and couldn't have asked for a better tow. One was from Oklahoma and duck hunted and looking for some SC deer hunts. Hey buddy, Im a member of a club just a few miles from y'all's station and we allow guest!

I’ve personally spoken with the Charleston tow boat crew. They said they would come out 60 miles “weather permitting “ and don’t normally stick to the Towboat Company regulations. I hope I never need them, but it was nice to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MC View Post
    Towboat changed their unlimited coverage areas out of several places in the not too distant past. Charleston was 100 miles at one point, now it is 25. Georgetown Towboat is 25 and Murrells Inlet is 75. Depending on where you were I get it that you were out of their coverage area. I guess my question is whether Sea Tow would have come? Their terms and conditions are different.
    And... that's why I have both. Members get served first. My yamahas failed plenty(3 different motors)- mostly electrical - been towed 4 times- trolled in from 65 miles out twice

Fireman we have also been told the same and why he went with BoatUs. We usually fish out of LR, MI on occasion. USCG said that both their limit is 20. We gave Coast Guard the member #, name, boat, etc. BoatUS didn't respond to our VHF call. Charleston had to relay message to GT CG as their radio sucks. We personally know owner whom assured they would come no matter how far so I'm sure my brother will be asking questions.

Is Ronnie Campbell still running out of GT?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    A lot of issues you see are fuel related which don’t care if you have 1 or 4 motors.
    This!

I have twin Yamaha 150 4 strokes with around 1800 hours. Always good to carry extra fuel water separators, injectors, fuel line etc. Broken down a lot in my time in boating On this boat and others. Having some of these gets you going most of the time.

Not much the original poster could’ve done. Lesson learned here is they were prepared with radio, food, epirb and all of the proper gear. Glad he got back safely

You take additional injectors? Please educate me on this
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson