Thread: Game Zone 4 or 1

Default Game Zone 4 or 1

Anyone ever tried to bear hunt? Got any tips the would not mind sharing.. Most likely going to try some place in Game Zone 4 and see what happens. Never tired to hunt bear just been teaching myself how to tell a male from a female. Wanted to try something new.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Look for cubs. Otherwise very difficult to tell the difference between boar and sow. Must be over 100 pounds. Hunt food sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Look for cubs. Otherwise very difficult to tell the difference between boar and sow. Must be over 100 pounds. Hunt food sources.
    Yeah I have read the regulations. Anything in particular to look at on a map that would indicate a good starting point to roam around?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Yeah I have read the regulations. Anything in particular to look at on a map that would indicate a good starting point to roam around?
    I went 2 years ago for first time. Everything I read was look for white oak flats. Found a bunch of flats and lots of acorns. Saw lots of deer and hog sign but not hide nor hair of a bear. Did find one log that looked like it had been torn up possibly by a bear. Did alot of walking and saw lots of pretty areas. Go to the local store or dollar general or something. We had several guys ask us if we were bear hunting and said they hoped we killed every one of them nasty things. Couple of them pointed us to some nice oak flats and places they had seen some. We caught some trout and drank some cold beer at night. Hope I can go back this year
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I went 2 years ago for first time. Everything I read was look for white oak flats. Found a bunch of flats and lots of acorns. Saw lots of deer and hog sign but not hide nor hair of a bear. Did find one log that looked like it had been torn up possibly by a bear. Did alot of walking and saw lots of pretty areas. Go to the local store or dollar general or something. We had several guys ask us if we were bear hunting and said they hoped we killed every one of them nasty things. Couple of them pointed us to some nice oak flats and places they had seen some. We caught some trout and drank some cold beer at night. Hope I can go back this year
    Thanks. Planning on doing some walking, fishing, and if a deer happens to show face it might end up in a bag.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Thanks. Planning on doing some walking, fishing, and if a deer happens to show face it might end up in a bag.
    if you are planning to bow hunt then that is a possibility. But with a rifle, deer season goes out during bear season unless it has changed
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Zone 4 Bear killed on WMA near my house. 8 y/o 250 lbs. If you’re not seeing fresh bear shit you’re wasting time. Poke around in the pile and see what he’s eating, then figure out where. Cameras help. Lots of luck is involved if you’re not hunting over bait IMO. If you can bait it’s just a matter of catching them there during daylight.

6AA17DBF-1789-4FBD-A88E-FC8726180889.jpg

Good job!

I can help a little, very little, but some in GZ1. PM me if you decide to head up this way.

Quote Originally Posted by ersepton View Post
    I can help a little, very little, but some in GZ1. PM me if you decide to head up this way.
    I will definitely do that if I head that way. Thanks fellas

To the top.

A public SC bear is pretty strong. There was someone on here that killed on on WMA in the upstate years back on here. On of the variations of duckkiller, dukkller, etc. I think. Might could search up that thread and pick up some info.

Keep your eyes in the trees if you're walking. they like to nap upstairs, at least one of mine does.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

When I lived on the outer banks, I would see them quite often while driving thru the Dismal Swamp at night.
    I was always told the females have the long necks and ever since I was told that, I see there is a clear distinction in males with
    heads sitting on their shoulders and females having a real "neck"