Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sabine Versatile skiff build

I'd take either one, NO problem.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Do these compare to the likes of Hewes and Maverick and East Cape? And is Hell's Bay still the king of this category?
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Do these compare to the likes of Hewes and Maverick and East Cape? And is Hell's Bay still the king of this category?
    Hewes is not in the same category.

I talked and looked at all those other listed brands when looking for my current boat and each has its plusses and minuses. HB is at the top end but not a walk away winner of this category.
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 12-02-2021 at 09:52 AM.

Very nice looking skiff!! I like the whisper gray for a fishing boat but would love to see one in a camo paint job like a Natural Gear or Bottomland for a multi purpose skiff.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

With a flat bottom boat I was surprised just how sharp in corners without slide. It has a fairly sharp bow entry that makes it drive similar to the other flat bottom boats (EVox, Maverick S, etc) which makes the ride better than anticipated when trimmed correctly. Obviously doesn’t handle like a V bottom boat but better than I was expecting as it was my 1 reservation.

Overall while does require more skill to drive properly frequent input on trim tilt it rides great. The next will see if the flat bottom causes any noticeable affect on polling. It truly has no hull slap as advertised , hard to tell you are not in a fiberglass boat.

Boat is about 150lbs heavier I believe vs high end non-carbon boats and likely only about 50lbs different than the others. With that not what I would have purchased if still in South Florida but for upper Gulf coast it is perfect, hence why becoming so popular.

Hope to eventually move back to ACEbasin area after military commitment and feel will do great with oyster beds where I like to fish and duck hunt.

I bought this to be a 10-20 year boat to compliment a larger more family oriented center console in the future.
    Last edited by Dawhoo; 12-02-2021 at 01:35 PM.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    Very nice looking skiff!! I like the whisper gray for a fishing boat but would love to see one in a camo paint job like a Natural Gear or Bottomland for a multi purpose skiff.
    His first production boat was an old school camp wrap. They were very popular early on but he quit offering that as option for some reason.

He is producing a composite carbon boat now to add the aluminum line up
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Have been seeing and hearing more of these lately.