Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generator selection

Default Generator selection

Hi All,

I need some advice. I need to purchase two pretty large "portable" generators in the 10kw range. We have power outages fairly often so one of these will stay near home and the other will be standby power for our barn with living quarters. I have looked at fixed standby generators and they are too expensive to get installed. Do any of you have experience with makes like Honda, Champion, Predator or whatever? If so, I would like to hear your experiences and opinions.

Thanks

There’s a dozen threads about this if you use the search function.
    I’ve got 3 generators, a porter cable branded one with a Briggs and Stratton engine in the 7k watt range, and also have a predator in similar size and a smaller champion. Never had an issue with any of them. The predator has not had an easy life, used a lot on job sites where we don’t have power yet, loaned out to to whoever needs it, sits out on the weather most of the time or is in the back of my work truck. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

One buddy in Louisiana has a Generac whole house natural gas generator. He hasn't missed a beat within seconds of losing power from Ida.

I have a small Predator 2000 watt inverter that I use at camp to run a/c or 1500 watt heater and small fridge and it's been 100% reliable. I'm looking at the 4375 watt Predator now. The 9000 watt is around $800 and the reviews seem pretty good.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Have a 20 year old Briggs, a Champion and two small Wen. Had a small predator that we passed on to a family member. Had to run a can of sea foam through one of the Wen a few years ago which cleared it up, but other than that, they have all been good. Just need to run them periodically and run gas out of carb when you do. With the price of the Predators, you could buy a spare to have in case one crapped out on you. Honda is the best, but they also cost the most.
    Last edited by wbrown609; 09-03-2021 at 06:18 AM.

You said portable and 10k, that will limits your options.

I think Generac and Honda are the only one with 10k units like that. Wednesday I actually saw both of them in person at the local small engine shop. Impressive.

Define portable also, you can roll or hook to a truck? Those big welding units Steelin or someone else was trying to sell awhile back are ideal for what sounds like your location.

Get one with flexible fuel options.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

If you want that much power and portable I would look at engine driven welding machines. The miller bobcat would be an excellent candidate for what you have in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Some questions you need to answer in this decision making:

How long are the power outages?
    Permanent mount and wired to ATS or MTS?
    RUG box? Roll up generator connection.
    Automatic or Manual, whose running outside to connect, crank and transfer the load when manual? In the foot of snow and ice that fell over night?
    Oh and how are you going to keep the elements from getting to the open air cooled generator if permanently installed? Sun will crack a cheap Chinese rubber fuel line in a year or less.
    If installing the gasoline engine next to your house, consider the additional fire risk and stored fuel.

For the barn, get a PTO generator...assuming you have the tractor in your avatar. Less than $2k.

Actually lots of inexpensive options in that range now especially if you are just looking at 10,000 starting watts. Some people don’t like them, but you could have an interlock switch kit and input box installed for not much money as well. Not top of the line by any means, but most switch boxes have UL listed kits available that meet code.
    Last edited by wbrown609; 09-03-2021 at 09:11 AM.

Buy a Whole House Generac 22Kw for $5500.00 including transfer switch, and battery for the house. Need to find an Electrician that wants to work on the side. Got mine installed including all Wiring and materials for $1200.00 Best decision you will make. This will run most 3-4 Ton HVAC.

If you have HVAC in the Barn, 10Kw is not going to handle the start up energy needed for the HVAC unless it is small.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    Some questions you need to answer in this decision making:

How long are the power outages?
    Permanent mount and wired to ATS or MTS?
    RUG box? Roll up generator connection.
    Automatic or Manual, whose running outside to connect, crank and transfer the load when manual? In the foot of snow and ice that fell over night?
    Oh and how are you going to keep the elements from getting to the open air cooled generator if permanently installed? Sun will crack a cheap Chinese rubber fuel line in a year or less.
    If installing the gasoline engine next to your house, consider the additional fire risk and stored fuel.
    This here is why I went with a fixed whole home Cummins. If I'm out of town and it's just my mother or my wife they cannot hook up and run a portable genset. Lights flicker and 15 seconds later they're good to go whether I'm there or not.

We got the estimate from the Cummins/Generac saleman. It was $12,000 for an installed 20KW. This does not include a propane tank. So the gas company wants $4000 for the tank with installation and $1600 to fill it up. So we are up to $18,000 and we need one for farm also. So it looks like I am messing with gasoline, manual transfer and what have you. We will have to chose what to run with a 10KW generator but thats the way it is. The information and opinions are genuinely appreciated.

Order your own, set it on a pad and get someone to handle the wiring and gas connections for you. You can get it a whole lot less than the numbers you mention.

Here’s a start: https://www.norwall.com/

White cloud, your numbers are why we didn’t get one put in. Couldn’t justify those costs for something we would rarely use. Am able to hook portable generator to house and run what we need. Have gas logs for heat. Can run mini split in bonus room and a small window unit in bedroom if we need air. Tankless propane water heater also takes very little power.

Bump as this was the last thread I saw about generators. CAT now has a 20, 25 and 30 kW diesel offering. Tier4 interim engine, liquid cooled, with 24hour tank and weather proof enclosure. Cheaper than Norwall has the Generac equivalent listed. More than the lawn mower engine units that are air cooled.

20kW will get you in the 5 ton HVAC coverage.

Go with Generac if it is going to be permanently installed. I would go with a propane if you want to be self sufficient in an event that may knock out all service. I am considering the same with an automatic transfer switch (only way to go for standby power). The propane gets away from the deterioration problems with gasoline or diesel. I dont know how long propane will last in storage as i have been able to find any data on it.

Be aware in a catastrophe everyone will know you have power and attract attention when they hear an engine running.
    Last edited by centurian; 03-01-2022 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    Go with Generac if it is going to be permanently installed. I would go with a propane if you want to be self sufficient in an event that may know out all service. I am considering the same with an automatic transfer switch (only way to go for standby power). The propane gets away from the deterioration problems with gasoline or diesel. I dont know how long propane will last in storage as i have been able to find any data on it.

Be aware in a catastrophe everyone will know you have poser and attract attention when they hear an engine running.
    Gaseous fuel is a pain in the ass some times. Propane is great when it runs perfect and the delivery guy actually delivers before an outage so you are at 100%. Oh and make sure the tank is sized correctly to give you ample run time. That diesel will give you more ass to start those larger loads compared to the air cooled engine series.

The 20kW above I mentioned consumes 1.72 gallons per hour and has a 24 hour tank. So roughly 45 gallons of diesel on hand. Run it once every two weeks with load on an ATS with exerciser and let the machine work. Top off diesel regularly and treat with algaecide. You will not have an issue with fuel.

Having a backup generator on a home cost money and requires maintenance.

I did find out Propane will store 30 plus years if it doesn't leak out through faulty equipment

The newer natural gas units are being a pain in the ass!! They've seemed to change the design on the fuel shut off solenoid and sometimes it won't overcome the gas pressure from the regulator.