Thread: Hurricane Ida impact Louisiana

Default Hurricane Ida impact Louisiana

Man these folks are in a bad way. Every one of my Cajun friends have damage and flooding, some a total loss.

If you have guided trips planned out of Venice or elsewhere in Louisiana, please try to make it happen. They faired pretty good down that way, West of there is a war zone. The unique thing after major storms like this is that the inshore fishing is UNBELIEVABLE due to saltwater surge. Reds and specks should be absolutely lousy thick inside the marsh down there.

Folks are running out of fuel and siphoning from their boats for the time being, tension is high and tempers are starting to flare. It's going to get a lot worse for folks trying to clean up and secure their homes. Neighbors are using 5 gallon buckets to get water from my friends pool to flush their toilets.....without electricity the city can't pump sewage so how long can that go on before it backs up?

Pray for these folks, support the Salvation Army or your church groups if they're doing cleanup. The last picture is a fella's camp in Cocodrie. The resilience of these people is amazing, they will rebuild.

If you're familiar with the area, here is NOAA aerial footage post Ida.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/i....5305/-90.0412
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Tough situation. Praying for them

Grand Isle was all but leveled. They are saying damage to 100 percent of the structures and 40 percent of them are just gone.

Last edited by kquinn; 09-02-2021 at 07:46 AM.

Holy smokes at Grand Isle.

I haven't followed this storm... what kind of wind did they actually see?
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I haven’t heard much on this storm. Sadly I had to stop watching the news about 6 months into Trump’s first term.

I know he only had one term but I’m hoping for the second.

Gust of 187 at Port Fouchon.

Quote Originally Posted by kquinn View Post
    Gust of 187 at Port Fouchon.
    Mercy.

There aren't a lot of structures that can take that sort of beating.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Damn, they got it good

50 people were on Grand Isle "riding it out". Word is they all made it to a hotel and all survived and had to be rescued. All of them said they would never ride out another hurricane.

Around 200 people rode it out in Lafitte, all had to be rescued as they were inundated with floodwater. Many lost everything. The stories I'm hearing are gut wrenching.

Storms like these are becoming too frequent. The Northeast is drowning from "remnants" of Ida now.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Hear that sound? No? That is the sound of all the pos Generac's not running. Talk about adding insult to injury...

As much as I feel bad for these people, at the end of the day you fully accept this risk having a house on the coast. Who I feel the worst for are those who live full time in the areas due to their livelihood. At Edisto we have been lucky with our house standing since 1978 when rebuilt on 3rd row after a hurricane knocked out the previous one on the front beach. It is a risk we have taken and don’t expect the public to federally subsidize rebuilding if it was damaged as it is simply a vacation home, those who live full time and employed in the area have a greater arguement.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    As much as I feel bad for these people, at the end of the day you fully accept this risk having a house on the coast. Who I feel the worst for are those who live full time in the areas due to their livelihood. At Edisto we have been lucky with our house standing since 1978 when rebuilt on 3rd row after a hurricane knocked out the previous one on the front beach. It is a risk we have taken and don’t expect the public to federally subsidize rebuilding if it was damaged as it is simply a vacation home, those who live full time and employed in the area have a greater arguement.
    Well put…..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    I wish I could slap that level of sense into a significant chunk of the general population.