Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mullet pen

Default mullet pen

Anybody ever built one?

Rubber coated chicken wire?

I'd like the bait to last a week in there if possible.

Post up pics if you have done this.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

What size mullet?

I think a week will be tough, overnight or a day or so should work.

Make it double walled to keep stuff from picking at them. You will also need to worry about pen placement getting the right water flow.

I made recirculating tanks in my garage and mullet did not have a long life span.

Get a plastic trash from Lowes. Drill a bunch of holes in it. Get some big zip ties and zip tie a couple pool noodles around the perimeter just low enough where you can get the lid back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. Been there, done that. Thing'll be weighted down with green slime inside of a week.

Back in the day I built some out of big ass window screen's. Won me some money doing it.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Guy I used to duck hunt with on the Outer Banks, tried to have a live bait holding pen. Worked good until the otters found it. Make sure whatever you do, is otter proof.

Do see many otters in Big Bay Creek at Edisto.

I notice commercial crab traps aren’t covered in green slime?

I’m think 5ft square should hold a dozen mullet for a week.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Hardware cloth would be the thing to build it with.

If you're going to put trolling size mullet in it, just wrap a commercial crab trap with hardware cloth then hang it off a floating dock cleat.

Screenshot_20210902-061337~2.jpg

Not sure about mullet but we keep shrimp alive for 2-3 week at a time in this. Pull out and scrub down when we reload it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

that is, indeed, a nice mullet Fro, Jr
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    that is, indeed, a nice mullet Fro, Jr
    Hahahahaha!!!!

Looks to me like an impalement waiting to happen if me and my crew attempted to make one of those after 1700..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Fro’s boys are an impressive crew. Always have been impressed by those go getters.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

If you figure out a way to keep mullet alive in captivity for a week you need to quit your day job! I’ve never been able to keep them alive longer than about a day and a half

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I can keep finger mullet alive in a 55gal drum bait tank in my boat for days on end.

I'm just wondering about 8-10 inch mullet banging their heads on hard corners of a mesh pen.

Calibogue?

he out west
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I can keep finger mullet alive in a 55gal drum bait tank in my boat for days on end.

I'm just wondering about 8-10 inch mullet banging their heads on hard corners of a mesh pen.

Calibogue?
    That’s what I’m talking about. We had a mesh bag with a pool noodle for a float, a drum with holes cut in it, etc. We have tried everything and nothing seems to keep them alive for more than about 8 hours. We’ve even had issues keeping them alive in the boat live well.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Why I used screen wire as it gives a little. They still would get the red nose
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I would think you will need a decent amount of current in a circular motion with a high volume of water exchange to keep them for any amount of time.

Are these tarpon or billfish baits? What’s the reasoning behind keeping them for a week vs. catching fresh? You can walk on mullet on most flats right now.