Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mullet pen

Damn- never had an issue keeping big mullet alive all day on the boat livewell, 2 gallons per bait and fresh water running constant with overflow and they are like fresh caught at the end of the day.
    I bought a commercial made bait pen in the keys to keep them overnight and it worked fine- looks like a heavy duty round laundry basket with a snap closing lid and handles

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadrifter View Post
    Are these tarpon or billfish baits? What’s the reasoning behind keeping them for a week vs. catching fresh? You can walk on mullet on most flats right now.
    Tarpon.

I usually only get to the island on the weekends.

My intentions would be to catch bait on Sunday’s before I head home for the week, so when I come down the following Friday, I can fish instead of chasing bait for 2 hours.

I have to believe that them being tied off to a dock just up from the marina, they’ll get all the current they would need.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadrifter View Post
    Are these tarpon or billfish baits? What’s the reasoning behind keeping them for a week vs. catching fresh? You can walk on mullet on most flats right now.
    That’s a fact! First year we have not struggled to find bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

???

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I pulled 2 for a couple of hours the other day then went and flounder fished and kept them in the live well incase I saw some tarpon.
    Released them both with time served at the end of the day. They’re pretty tough when they get bigger

If you ain't on the bait, then you ain't on the tarpon.
    Has the mullet run started down there?
    DILLIGAF

Make the pin circular.

Use PVC to make the frame. You can heat and bend it or i typically just make it octagonal using 22.5 degree angles.

Use the plastic poultry netting for the mesh: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fencer-W...MF34/305574438

Once complete, add pool noodles to make it float. You can add sand/lead shot inside the pvc to weight the bottom or just throw a brick or something in the bottom.

You may lose one or two the first day or so, but after a while they get used to the pen, start eating again and strengthen.

Otters will ruin your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by trash2 View Post
    Otters will ruin your efforts.
    Otter traps will be covered in the thread the week after the bait pen deployment.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

If you are trying to keep big mullet alive, definitely circular. I’d think coated crab pot wire would do just fine.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk