Thread: Snake poet caves

Default Snake poet caves

So, yeah, I'm a snake poet. I don't ever kill them. And I see a lot, including a big rattler or two every fall. But two weeks ago, my wife calls to say there is a big timber rattler in the little pine grove right beside the house. Clearly not a good situation. But by the time she found the gun and a shell, he was gone. Then yesterday morning, she calls again. What looks like the same snake is coiled up right in the middle of the chicken pen. But again, he gets away before she can do anything about it. So this morning, I go down there with a gun, and there he is, piled up under a stick. I decide to kill him with a shovel. I was amazed at how docile it was. The chickens were literally stepping all over it. It never moved when I lifted the stick away, and, incredibly, didn't object in the least as I stretched its neck out for decapitation. I wish it had drawn back and rattled. I'd have felt better. Anyway, its 4'10" without the head if anybody wants it. Its in a sack in the beer fridge.
    Last edited by GMAC; 08-31-2021 at 08:17 AM.

My woman would have burned down the Chicken coop. Chickens and all.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

whitewaterduck may want it

I think that's the dude's name that was looking for copperhead skins, he might take a rattler.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

If you were closer to me I’d take it. Would make a nice belt.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    My woman would have burned down the Chicken coop. Chickens and all.
    Same. It went through $2k worth of ammo shooting at it
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

How many rattles?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

A bunch. I'll count them tonight.

Just curious...Why not simply relocate? After all, you're the self proclaimed snake poet.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

17 rattles. And it was still squirming in the sack. I guess I'll skin it myself.

I haven’t ran across a lot of rattle snakes, but the few I have, have always been extremely docile. I stepped on one last fall and he never made a peep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

I stepped less than a foot of one Saturday. He gave me a pass so I gladly returned the favor.
    A7DC6767-DCE8-4474-B8C1-102AEA585A0A.jpg
    Last edited by loud1; 08-31-2021 at 09:23 PM.

Here's another beauty. The hiker gave it a pass.

https://fb.watch/eXWK6BIZvf/

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 08-16-2022 at 07:12 PM.

I give them all a pass to snake heaven

Y'all are silly for letting them go. Virtue signaling.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Y'all are silly for letting them go. Virtue signaling.
    Nope!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I've put one I shot in the fridge once and they don't take long to go to stinking. My advice skin him ,nail him to a board and rub salt on him.

One of the last ones I relocated, I brought home and used for avoidance training with the dogs first. I had him at home for about a week and had no idea when he had eaten last so I bought a feeder mouse from the pet store to put in the cage with him. The snake was doing everything he could to avoid that mouse and I eventually had to remove the mouse before he hurt the snake.

I've been keeping my eyes open for either a canebrake or cottonmouth for some avoidance training for my newest dog but I really don't encounter many venomous snakes. I do have a lot of black racers and that may be why. They will eat other snakes, even rattlers.

Relocating snakes can be dangerous. I don't kill snakes when I can avoid it but sometimes they are just in a the wrong place and catching them isn't worth the risk.

I don't go out of my way to kill snakes, especially out in the woods. Harmless snakes get a pass around the house as long as the wife doesn't know about them. Venomous snakes around the house get no quarter, docile or not.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    One of the last ones I relocated, I brought home and used for avoidance training with the dogs first. I had him at home for about a week and had no idea when he had eaten last so I bought a feeder mouse from the pet store to put in the cage with him. The snake was doing everything he could to avoid that mouse and I eventually had to remove the mouse before he hurt the snake.

I've been keeping my eyes open for either a canebrake or cottonmouth for some avoidance training for my newest dog but I really don't encounter many venomous snakes. I do have a lot of black racers and that may be why. They will eat other snakes, even rattlers.

Relocating snakes can be dangerous. I don't kill snakes when I can avoid it but sometimes they are just in a the wrong place and catching them isn't worth the risk.
    Not trying to go all Jimmyd but I believe a canebrake and timber rattler are the same thing just depends where you live.

I killed a full grown one behind my well house about 20 years ago. He was to close to the house and his rattles were gone. He was over 5' and when I skinned him he was wider than a 2x10.