Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flounder Gigging Bust.

Default Flounder Gigging Bust.

Cherry Grove.

……..…..

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I saw that. Good catch

I bet money I know exactly who it is.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

It’s clear as day…cut the f’ing gigging out.

Razor City crowd is rough.

Good catching. Hope they burn em.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    It’s clear as day…cut the f’ing gigging out.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I bet money I know exactly who it is.
    I gotta admit, when I read Horry county my first thought was Big Brother done messed up and got caught.
    Glad to hear you're okay.

I’m gonna play devils advocate here. Why not just leave methods that have always been legal, and enforce the law/limits against law breakers as was done here?? I mean sheesh y’all probably think guns kill people too just like gigs kill undersized flounder. Oh and good bust glad to see DNR doing Wildlife related stuff.
    More Ducks, Less People

Shut your ignorant trap Wabbit
    Last edited by Palmetto Pride; 08-30-2021 at 09:04 PM.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Alaska knows how to handle this...

Kodiak Fisherman Sentenced to Federal Pen, Plus $1 Million Fine

The commercial angler falsely reported where he harvested 903,208 pounds of halibut and sablefish, worth over $13 million on the open market

BY KEN PERROTTE | PUBLISHED AUG 30, 2021 4:00 PM

Falsifying records for hundreds of thousands of pounds of halibut and sablefish has netted a Kodiak, Alaska, man six months in federal prison, a $1 million fine, 126 days in a halfway house, and 80 hours of community service.

Alaskan Woman Takes 460-Plus-Inch Caribou Bull on Remote Solo Hunt
    Commercial fisherman James Aaron Stevens, 47, owner and operator of F/V Alaskan Star and F/V Southern Seas, plead guilty in November 2020 to falsely reporting where he harvested 903,208 pounds of halibut and sablefish, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Alaska.

The sentencing by U.S. District Judge Joshua M. Kindred took place earlier this month. Stevens was also ordered to make a public service announcement acknowledging his wrongdoing for knowingly submitting false records.

“Stevens knowingly falsified numerous documents—IFQ [Individual Fishing Quota] landing reports, Alaska Department of Fish and Game fish tickets and fishing logbooks—to show that he harvested fish in locations and regulatory areas where he did not fish and omitted areas where he actually fished,” the U.S. Attorney’s Office stated. “Stevens committed this offense over the course of 26 fishing trips spanning four IFQ fishing seasons (2014-2017).”

The halibut and sablefish Stevens falsely reported and sold, in violation of the Lacey Act, had an approximate dock value of $4,522,210 and market value of $13,566,630.

NOAA’s Office of Law Enforcement headed the multi-year investigation which included extensive work by a special agent examining Stevens’ landing reports, state fish tickets, logbooks, and other seized information.

Although not part of the cod family, sablefish are sometimes referred to as black cod. They are said to be the highest valued finfish per pound in Alaska and West Coast commercial fisheries because of their rich oil content. Pacific halibut is the largest species of flatfish, capable of growing up to about 500 pounds and more than 8 feet long. The fish is one North Pacific’s most valuable commercial and recreational resources. Nearly 95 percent of Pacific halibut caught are landed in Alaska.

The Pacific Halibut and Sablefish Individual Fishing Quota Program, in place since 1995, is the largest catch share program in the United States, and dedicates a set share of fish to individual fishermen, cooperatives, or fishing communities for their exclusive use. The program is designed to make things more flexible for commercial fishermen, letting IFQ permit holders to harvest their annual allocation when they choose during the 8-plus month IFQ halibut and sablefish seasons, considering things such as better fishing weather, operational cost factors, or fish market values.

In addition to notifying state authorities, NOAA asks people to report possible illegal oceanic fishing activity to the Enforcement Hotline at (800) 853-1964.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/conse...fying-records/

Quote Originally Posted by scquackaddict View Post
    I’m gonna play devils advocate here. Why not just leave methods that have always been legal, and enforce the law/limits against law breakers as was done here?? I mean sheesh y’all probably think guns kill people too just like gigs kill undersized flounder. Oh and good bust glad to see DNR doing Wildlife related stuff.
    because then, the folks that don't know how to catch them with a rod and reel wont have anything to blame it on.
    oh, and I hope the violator gets the max penalty

I got DNR to turn up the heat.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I'm glad to see DNR is actively pursuing illegal giggers.

DT, do you have any contacts in SAFMC? Let's get ARS legalized.

If only they could catch blue catfish poachers now.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    I got DNR to turn up the heat.
    We need Santee stocked with largemouth bass. The population he as declined sharply since the 2016 floods. Make that call for us.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 08-31-2021 at 06:30 AM.

"dock value of $4,522,210 and market value of $13,566,630."

Holy smokes the difference between these.

Mike

Being NC, I am curious to know if he spent the evening in jail, you know since it's across state lines and all.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Take the truck they pulled the boat with and the boat & trailer. Egregious violations should get egregious penalties. That is the only deterrent

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Nice to see them out actually enforcing the law. I fish that area a good bit and catching a keeper flounder in Cherry Grove inlet is the exception rather than the rule. There are a shitload of undersized flounder that get gigged and tossed right back in.