Thread: Lake Jocassee boat ramp

Default Lake Jocassee boat ramp

Would yall recommend paying the $50 to reserve a parking spot or take the chance on getting one at the boat ramp? I've never taken my own boat there but I'm seeing some posts about the parking lot filling up pretty early.

If you're there by 9am on a weekend you should be fine without one. Weekday should be good anytime.

We actually tried to go this past Saturday and were turned away. Got there around 10am and there were people everywhere. The ranger said we could put in and then come back and try to find parking outside the park and hitch a ride back to the ramp. Jocassee is not that big anyways, if the boat ramp and surrounding area is that full of cars I'd rather go elsewhere and come back when there are less people. We ended up going down to Hartwell.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbreaker View Post
    If you're there by 9am on a weekend you should be fine without one. Weekday should be good anytime.
    We're going to try to be there at 8. Hopefully we'll be alright.

All the boat parking spots have been reserved, so that's not an option.
    Last edited by Drakey; 08-30-2021 at 09:17 AM.

I went 3 Fridays ago.
    No problem during the week. We pulled the pontoon over from Lake Bowen and had a great day with the kids. We got there at 10:30 am.
    Saturday is a different animal. Get there early. Before 9 if you can, if not you may be on Keowee for the day....which is pretty and a lot of fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    We actually tried to go this past Saturday and were turned away. Got there around 10am and there were people everywhere. The ranger said we could put in and then come back and try to find parking outside the park and hitch a ride back to the ramp. Jocassee is not that big anyways, if the boat ramp and surrounding area is that full of cars I'd rather go elsewhere and come back when there are less people. We ended up going down to Hartwell.
    I'm glad they changed their tune on that. A couple of years ago I was in a tech diving scuba class, and the instructor lives not terribly far down the road. Her husband drove us and was going to drop the boat in the water and take the truck and trailer back home until it was time to pick us up. The park was full and the park rangers stopped us and wouldn't let us do that and made us leave. A massive argument ensued with multiple rangers and we left. My instructor continued the fight way up the ladder through email and never got a resolution.

Fast forward to Covid and the ramps shutting down. All state parks were closed but none of Duke Power's did. Imagine our surprise to find out the small parking lot and ramp area were open 24/7 through Covid, while all the other areas were blocked off. They route you through the state park land when you get there so you have to spend the $8 a person entry fee, but you are actually using Duke's ramp which is free. I have a lot of friends who fish there who will only park in the Duke Power side and won't pay the entry fees. They come back to a ticket every time and throw them in the trash. They've been doing this for years and never had anything show up in the mail, and have to have their backgrounds checked annually for work and nothing like a warrant has popped up yet. Sure wish we had known about that back in our argument!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Drakey View Post
    All the boat parking spots have been reserved, so that's not an option.
    Just an FYI, you have to reserve a boat parking spot at least 2 days in advance. If not, the website shows that it's fully booked.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post
    Just an FYI, you have to reserve a boat parking spot at least 2 days in advance. If not, the website shows that it's fully booked.

I tried to go ahead and book one for this Saturday, but it showed them all reserved.

50 bucks to park a boat trailer for the day? Fk that
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Ain’t no shit. I may have to go up there and run a shuttle service.

Just another FYI. If you need to pay $50 to park your rig, you should probably get up earlier and go to one of the real mountain lakes in NC or NGA...

But can you get the Tater shuttle
    Service at those “other” lakes? No.

Screw 50 bucks. If you get there at 8 you’ll be fine. Been doing it for years.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Fish bite at 6 AM.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Fish bite at 6 AM.
    It's going to be more of a, ride around with the fam kind of trip. I'm sure my 7 yr old will want to fish some so we'll try it a little bit. I've never fished that lake, so I wouldn't even know where to start.