Thread: .410 auto

Default .410 auto

I want a .410 to shoot wood ducks with and probably some doves as well. I will eventually have a Silver pigeon .410/28 ga combo, but that’s another story. What options are out there? Has anyone shot the tristars, and are they worth a dang?
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I’ve got the Tristar. Yea it kinda cheap but it kills ducks and turkeys. Patterned it with factory choke but fixing to have forcing cone done and work on chokes and loads
    80-20 Genaration

I had a buddy get a deal for me on a case of the Boss 7’s. I assume that is death on wood ducks
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

The tristars aren’t bad at all, for the money that is. I have shot one on a few dove shoots and didn’t have any problems with it.

Obviously you could get fancy with it and get a 410 1100 or the likes, but for the money and a gun that will be used sparingly, the Tristar is a great option in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I had a buddy get a deal for me on a case of the Boss 7’s. I assume that is death on wood ducks
    The Tristar doesn’t like Boss shells. When I called them, the first question they ask if I was shooting a Tristar. Said they were working on the issue. This was a 410 G2.
    Last edited by thunderchicken; 08-29-2021 at 09:55 AM.

The people I know with Tristars have been pleased. I don't know if they make a 410, but ATA is pretty good for the money too. I bought one of their 20ga's a few years ago to rabbit hunt with and have been pleased.

https://www.ataarms.com/en/venza-synthetic.html

The only negative is that they use an uncommon thread pattern on their chokes so if you want an aftermarket you have to go custom. It comes with 5-6 chokes though.
    Last edited by StrutnBPS; 08-29-2021 at 09:53 AM.

I have an 1100LW that’s my go to rabbit gun.. Would likely be a difficult find but I’m sure would serve you well in the capacity you referenced.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

I bought the Silver Pigeon 28/20 combo several years ago when the nicest gun I had was an 870 and I didn’t think I could/should afford it. Unless you just want to check that box on the 410 I’d say get the 28 for sure whether it’s a combo gun or not. It is deadly beyond a yardage you’d think you should shoot. Patterns very well with IC bottom and IM top barrel for doves and would for ducks too. 1oz 7s AAs are filthy in it. I wouldn’t pick the in between gun if I had any option at all to go with the Silver Pigeon.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Picked up a Mossberg sa-410 a few weeks ago and love it. So far it cycles 2.5” AAs and 3” tss hand loads well. Light AF and 40 yd pattern with 9s is nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    There some ejection problems with boss and the Tristar 410. Something to do with chamber size and pressures. Over my head. I’ve just been shooting federal steel 7s
    80-20 Genaration

Little flashy but it's hard to beat a Remington sporting 1100 .410 it comes with factory extended chokes. My sporting 28 is my favorite shotgun.
    They use sporting 410's in this video.

Pointer Phenoma is flame bra..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

go ahead and pick up that silver pigeon

I been shooting a Tristar G2 viper in 410 for 3 years. Never had any problems with it. I like it.