Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is healthy?

I would agree that we have come to consider moderate obesity as healthy. The irony is a lot of people who are very thin with little muscle mass healthy are also considered healthy, especially women.

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    This right here. I’m sure some folks will mention how elite gymnasts can be performing at their peak while under poor mental health.

Just like how someone mentioned how BMI is not a good indicator. If you are obese by BMI standards, you better have more muscle than fat which is rare.

I’ve known folks that have been in the hospital and have died from covid. The amount of times I’ve heard from friends and family that “they are healthy, I don’t know how it happened”. Most of these folks are obese, but it has become the norm that we consider moderate obesity healthy.

I’m not trying to shame anyone, I just think we need to be honest about what “healthy” is. Just as it is ridiculous and dangerous to call a male weightlifter a femal weightlifter, I think categorizing obese as healthy is ridiculous and dangerous.
    Yeah sure let's compare elite athletes to the general population and use them as a standard of health...
    BMI sucks as an indicator not only because of body size.... You can be skinny and unhealthy.... How many obese crack heads do you know. If you would like I could get more educated in my answers and we can discuss how diet affects mental and physical health along with how physically fitness and diet leads to a better mentally healthy person. I guess my degree in sports medicine and training in nutrition leads me to believe a physically fit and healthy person is normally more mentally healthy as well.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Is that a real degree?

I do know quite a few folks who are “healthy” with high blood pressure, smoke, drink excessively, eat poorly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I consider myself to be healthy, but l'm definitely getting older!

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Is that a real degree?
    I think they used to call it "PRTM"

I'd love to watch a bunch of y'all "healthy" runs a mile under 10 mins.

And yes I can. With my damn work boots on. Am I healthy?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I could walk a mile in ten minutes

I could walk a mile in ten minutes

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Yeah sure let's compare elite athletes to the general population and use them as a standard of health...
    BMI sucks as an indicator not only because of body size.... You can be skinny and unhealthy.... How many obese crack heads do you know. If you would like I could get more educated in my answers and we can discuss how diet affects mental and physical health along with how physically fitness and diet leads to a better mentally healthy person. I guess my degree in sports medicine and training in nutrition leads me to believe a physically fit and healthy person is normally more mentally healthy as well.
    I mean no disrespect. And I get that there are unhealthy skinny people. But some people will use that fact as a reason to say “BMI is stupid”. BMI isn’t the end all be all, but it is a good starting point to ask questions if you are at a healthy weight. Trust me, I am 6’5”. To be an ideal weight I would have to be 210 pounds. That could happen, but I would not be able to strength activities that I enjoy.

Throwing BMI out the window gives people an excuse to no use an easily accessible tool to look at their health

Is that a real degree?
    Haha yeah more so than all these communications and sociology degrees people get now. Yeah I'm an Athletic Trainer but has really given me second thoughts when the medical field and even in sports medicine starts talking about treating transgendered athletes.... Freaking crazy.

Simple answer. Don't be fat. Eat healthy most of the time and if you have an office job you need to exercise and what work outside.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    I mean no disrespect. And I get that there are unhealthy skinny people. But some people will use that fact as a reason to say “BMI is stupid”. BMI isn’t the end all be all, but it is a good starting point to ask questions if you are at a healthy weight. Trust me, I am 6’5”. To be an ideal weight I would have to be 210 pounds. That could happen, but I would not be able to strength activities that I enjoy.

Throwing BMI out the window gives people an excuse to no use an easily accessible tool to look at their health
    I've noticed with my recent weight loss I feel I've lost some strength. That said, I can stick it in and walk up, instead of walking up and sticking it in. Good trade

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I think they used to call it "PRTM"
    Hahahaha

They definitely brought diversity to lehotsky hall
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Bmi has always been a limited indicator. Your blood readings are a more important indicator, as well as a stress test.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    I'd love to watch a bunch of y'all "healthy" runs a mile under 10 mins.

And yes I can. With my damn work boots on. Am I healthy?
    I ain’t trying to run a mile and I ain’t near as healthy as I should/could be, but I was on a a squirrel hunt one day with two other forum members on here, the dog treed about 375yds away and I took off walking and left them. When they caught up with me at the tree one of the them looked me up and down and said “ dang boy, I didn’t realize you could get around in the woods like that”

I took it as a compliment
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I ain’t trying to run a mile and I ain’t near as healthy as I should/could be, but I was on a a squirrel hunt one day with two other forum members on here, the dog treed about 375yds away and I took off walking and left them. When they caught up with me at the tree one of the them looked me up and down and said “ dang boy, I didn’t realize you could get around in the woods like that”

I took it as a compliment
    I doubt I could keep up with you and Jake. For a whole day anyway. Speaking of...

Gonna be some poets show up in here…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red meat and Natural Lights are a good foundation as far as nutrition goes.

I was keeping up with DC in the woods pretty good until Tyler pushed me down in the creek….
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Red meat and Natural Lights are a good foundation as far as nutrition goes.

I was keeping up with DC in the woods pretty good until Tyler pushed me down in the creek….
    Seen it with my own two eyes
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...