Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What is healthy?

Default What is healthy?

With covid, i am starting to realize what i think is healthy and what our nation thinks is healthy are two different things. What do you think makes someone healthy?

Ill answer first since i asked.
    Bodyweight near normal BMI
    No Diabetes
    No High blood pressure
    can run a mile in under 10 minutes

Ahhh, I thought you were fishing for a selfie

from me

Very hard to define. I know guys that smoke a pack a day and are 50 pounds overweight that can still run like the wind. I think genetics play a lot bigger factor than some would like to admit.
    Last edited by Remy; 08-26-2021 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    Ill answer first since i asked.
    Bodyweight near normal BMI
    No Diabetes
    No High blood pressure
    can run a mile in under 10 minutes
    I would add-
    Balanced healthy diet with less “preservative package foods”
    No excess of alcohol or drugs
    Common sense
    Mentally healthy and positive
    Most importantly belief in God and Jesus as our savior

Skinny fat is real. I know males with two left arms that, some even jog.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 08-26-2021 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    Very hard to define. I know guys that smoke a pack a day and are 50 pounds overweight that can still run like the wind. I think genetics play a lot bigger factor than some would like to admit.
    i get that. there are some outliers out there. I had a family member that smoked into his eighties and is still alive. I also had another that die of lung cancer in his late 50s. But the outliers don't disprove the mean.

Olympic weightlifters for example: i wouldnt say this guy is healthy. He can move weight, but i bet he wont live as long with a high as quality life as the 150-200 lb weightlifters.

Not my big ass.

I guess what I am saying is there is no sure fire way to say if someone is truly healthy. I'm with you on the extreme guys. I admire people that do ultra marathons and extreme stuff, but I bet they won't be able to half walk by the time they are 60 because of injuries and arthritis. I wouldn't call that healthy.

If I had to have one sign that shows you're decently healthy is that you are not on any medication.
    Last edited by Remy; 08-26-2021 at 03:46 PM.

I feel like I'm pretty damn healthy when I'm not sick.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    I feel like I'm pretty damn healthy when I'm not sick.
    What makes you feel healthy?

Diet plays more of a role than most want to admit. Genetics yeah okay some role but not as big as many like to use as an excuse for being fat. BMI sucks as a measure of health. Diet is the biggest issue and portion size. Good diet, moderate exercise or at least active life style and you should be pretty healthy. Genetics is not a excuse for being fat.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Being happy and content in life.

Heck, I couldn't run a mile these days if my life depended on it. I don't lift weights or train any longer either but I do work a lot and can go for a while. Probably be a lot healthier physically if I got more than 5hrs a sleep a night though.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Healthy? mentally and physically..... finding a medium in between what makes you happy, while maintaining health. For example i like cooking, music, and drinking beer on the weekends. Good for my mental health, during the week i try to eat healthy and go on walks/jogs in the afternoon. Weekends are for grilling, beer, music, and company. Find that medium that keeps you sane and also doesn't clog arteries, high blood pressure, etc.... and when you leave work leave it there and forget about it. That's my two cents

Yes mental health is important..... I would say that most of the time mental health follows physical health.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    What makes you feel healthy?
    A really good dump in the morning while reading SCDucks.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Yes mental health is important..... I would say that most of the time mental health follows physical health.
    This right here. I’m sure some folks will mention how elite gymnasts can be performing at their peak while under poor mental health.

Just like how someone mentioned how BMI is not a good indicator. If you are obese by BMI standards, you better have more muscle than fat which is rare.

I’ve known folks that have been in the hospital and have died from covid. The amount of times I’ve heard from friends and family that “they are healthy, I don’t know how it happened”. Most of these folks are obese, but it has become the norm that we consider moderate obesity healthy.

I’m not trying to shame anyone, I just think we need to be honest about what “healthy” is. Just as it is ridiculous and dangerous to call a male weightlifter a femal weightlifter, I think categorizing obese as healthy is ridiculous and dangerous.

Not me
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson