Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hydrate, hydrate. It ain’t worth dying for

Default Hydrate, hydrate. It ain’t worth dying for

Dutch Fork High School student dies after collapsing at football practice, district officials say

https://www.wyff4.com/article/sc-hig...-say/37394049#

If you have one in sports, hydration is a 24 hour job, not just at practice.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

My daughter is friends with that kids girl friend. She told my daughter that he is Muslim and was fasting for religious reasons. Don’t know that to be the truth but that’s what she was told.

Terrible tragedy. Seems like these coaches would be able to recognize the signs by now or be a little more in tune with hydration practices.

I don’t remember hearing too many stories like this growing up. Of course we all spent a lot more time outside in the heat and not the AC. Or is it these stories are more prevalent due to more media outlets. Then again back in my mid 30’s I fell out one day, can’t say if it was heat exhaustion or a mild heat stroke but since then if I don’t start early in the morning and quit by noon, I can’t deal with it. Then again I’ve gotten old.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

heat acclimation plays a part. No matter the circumstances its devastating to community and school. Prayers to his family. Havent heard any details.

Today kids sit inside and get "fortnite Belly" then step outside on day 1 practice.

When I played, we had 2 a days during tobacco season. practice at 6, work until 5, practice at 6.

You have to watch them like a hawk. With 35 kids on our team, it takes EVERYBODY all the time.

We have 4 teams practicing, overlapping times, and a limited number of trainers and coaches. There are ~150 kids in the program.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

What would folks say about Bear Bryant in Junction City, Texas? It is a wonder somebody didn't die out there.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    What would folks say about Bear Bryant in Junction City, Texas? It is a wonder somebody didn't die out there.
    Yep. And if a kid says something about feeling tired, sluggish etc, they get flogged by their peers and coaches. So they just keep pushing.

Electrolytes man. Gotta give them the right stuff and it's not gatoraide.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Yep. And if a kid says something about feeling tired, sluggish etc, they get flogged by their peers and coaches. So they just keep pushing.

I'm on my second week of keto. Night and day difference when I have and don't have LMNT

What is the right stuff??
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

salt tablets.....pickle juice. Just kidding.
    I saw Glenn talking about LMNT. Looks pretty good. Never heard of it until here.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    salt tablets.....pickle juice. Just kidding.
    I saw Glenn talking about LMNT. Looks pretty good. Never heard of it until here.
    You joke but us old geezers remember well choking down salt tabs chased by hot hose pipe water on a clay/Bermuda grass field and drinking pickle juice during games when we were cramping. They knew what was up even back then. And And I'm old enough to remember that the original gatoraide had all the right stuff but it tasted like medicine. Then they figured out if they lowered the lytes and added sugar it would change the taste so even the fatties would buy it thinking they were "affleets" and now it's just koolaide.

LMNT hits all the marks and flat out works.

I've given away more LMNT to people than I can count to people that need it and to the man they all now have their own supply. Endurance athletes, football players, surveyors, construction/contractors, hunters, skeeter killers and little old ladies that like to garden. All are on auto ship re-order.

Crop tobacco all day practice football at night. We used to have to run at least a 100 yards multiple times a practice to get hot water shot out of a pvc pipe along the wall on the back side of the restroom. Better not be last getting back either… had a feller quit our senior season week before the first game. His exact words were, “if we get one more water break I’m done.” good times

Hell we have been going tho almost 60 gallons of water a day during practice and most days in helmets right now. If a kid is not eating proper and not drinking properly outside of school or practice not a lot a coach or even a trainer can do.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I've given away more LMNT to people than I can count to people that need it and to the man they all now have their own supply. Endurance athletes, football players, surveyors, construction/contractors, hunters, skeeter killers and little old ladies that like to garden. All are on auto ship re-order.
    are they in your down line?
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Diets were different then too.

I was on the phone with a HS coach friend during the DF-Wren game and we were talking about cramping. I don’t remember it being an issue in my time, but it’s definitely an issue now. I can promise you their coaches are preaching hydration day in and day out, yet we see the same thing every year until it cools off.

I need some for fishin', I get thirsty sitting over on my side of the boat reeling in fish all day. Hands and forearms starts to cramp up bad around 11-12:00.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    are they in your down line?
    You want in?

I'm running a special on first orders for new distributors.

You want in?

I'm running a special on first orders for new distributors.
    us chiros love other income streams. lol
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I need some for fishin', I get thirsty sitting over on my side of the boat reeling in fish all day. Hands and forearms starts to cramp up bad around 11-12:00.
    Should have said something. I had about 10 packs on the boat and went through 5 of 'em out there.

Dehydration is not a risk factor for heat stroke.

Now whether heat stroke was cause or death or not, didn’t really say. Arrhythmia is still most common cause of death for athletes.
    Last edited by Dawhoo; 08-25-2021 at 04:33 PM.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau