Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invisible fence?

Default Invisible fence?

Thinking about putting one around my entire yard (2 acres). Three dogs. Which would y'all recommend?

I tried a cheap wireless one and it worked good for about a month then quit working.

Look into the gps "fencing".

Pay invisible fence company to come put one in and be done with it

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Look into the gps "fencing".
    I have. Would be great, but would cost me around $3,000-$4,000.

Quote Originally Posted by MudCat05 View Post
    Pay invisible fence company to come put one in and be done with it
    Have you priced them? A quick search brought up $2,000+ for 2 acres.

I'm looking at renting this and doing it myself.

https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equip...ble-installer/

Invisible Fence starts at $2400 for half acre, one dog, then goes up from there.

I have installed a few over the past 10 years. Rent the trencher and install it yourself. Easy to install and we only run ours 2-3" under ground. We have had great luck with the Petsafe brand, we like the stubborn dog collars that use the 9v batteries. Make sure to plug the fence into a surge protector as well/

https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equip...ble-installer/[/QUOTE]
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

Quote Originally Posted by CantCareSB View Post
    I have installed a few over the past 10 years. Rent the trencher and install it yourself. Easy to install and we only run ours 2-3" under ground. We have had great luck with the Petsafe brand, we like the stubborn dog collars that use the 9v batteries. Make sure to plug the fence into a surge protector as well/

[/QUOTE]

The trencher goes for $50-60 a day. Figured I can do it in max 2 days. A friend of mine took the blade off of a bottom plow and used it. I can do that with my tractor, but from the videos I've watched on that trencher it seems to be the ticket.

You can install it in less than a day. Rent the trencher and cut the trench 1st. Take it back then install the wire. We did ~ 5acres in a day
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

Heck you can put some t posts and wire fencing up for cheaper than that

The last time I did one, I used an edger to run the trench around my yard in town, and then installed the wire. Worked well, but I like the looks of the trencher laying the wire all in one pass.

Are you leaving the dogs out all day? Or just for morning and afternoon jaunts?

You could get a Garmin Alpha system with 3 collars and come in cheaper than the fence deal. Then when one of them cuts through the gps fence, you can see exactly where he is to go get him.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

What'd you end up doing here?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    Have you priced them? A quick search brought up $2,000+ for 2 acres.

Stutn. I apologize, I just saw where I never responded to you. It has been a while since I installed one but when I did mine for a little over an acre it was $1,600. That is in Virginia where I am now.

Quote Originally Posted by CantCareSB View Post

[/QUOTE]

I've been using petsafe brand with these stubborn collars for 15 years on 4 different labs, in three different yards. Have had great luck with them. This would be my reccomendation.

But maybe MOST importantly is to follow the instructions for training the dog. You must start off on the right foot with the dog. Once he realizes he can run through it, it can be difficult to correct.

I had invisible fence install mine on a little over 2 acres several years ago. It was $2100 for everything. They even do the training. I think they came and trained 3 or 4 times. Bored under sidewalks and driveway as well. It has never skipped a beat.

Some of y'all that have the wire in the ground set up, correct me if I'm wrong here... doesn't this type of system buzz the animal when it breaks containment, then again when it comes back?

The way I understood it, the collar was not smart enough to know when the dog was either coming or going, so to speak.

Last edited by willyworm; 08-29-2021 at 06:59 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Some of y'all that have the wire in the ground set up, correct me if I'm wrong here... doesn't this type of system buzz the animal when it breaks containment, then again when it comes back?

The way I understood it, the collar was not smart enough to know when the dog was either coming or going, so to speak.

Correct.

Depending on your system, some give a warning sound, some vibrate, while others go straight to shocking.

Gotcha. I ended up choosing the wireless system from Petsafe that covers a 3/4 acre. Which is pretty much perfect for our 2 acre lot. They stop a little short of the road and the collar doesn't hit em when they come home. That's a benefit, plus you can combine multiple transmitters to create a containment area larger than 3/4 acre.

But my animals know where home is and rarely break it. My lab doesn't stray. He's a home body. Our little mutt gets pretty fired up when the mailman comes round or another dog walks down the street, although she's not aggressive just barks alot I saw her break it once. She got scolded, I stepped up the collar to DEFCON 5 and she hasn't broke since.

Don't have experience with the other set up, but I've been pretty pleased with the Petsafe wireless, so no need to change.

Last edited by willyworm; 08-29-2021 at 08:05 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Gotcha. I ended up choosing the wireless system from Petsafe that covers a 3/4 acre. Which is pretty much perfect for our 2 acre lot. They stop a little short of the road and the collar doesn't hit em when they come home. That's a benefit, plus you can combine multiple transmitters to create a containment area larger than 3/4 acre.

Don't have experience with the other set up, but I've been pretty pleased with my current wireless, so no need to change.

I tried a cheap wireless system off Amazon and it was great, while it worked. I would go wireless if they covered more area or if my building was on the other side of the yard.