Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kalahari – Heat Wave (The Dark Continent 2021) Long and Pic Heavy

Awesome memories made!

Thanks for sharing!

That's on my bucket list for sure! Still checking off the North America list first.

Okay, so I have a few gun questions...

Which 416?

What'd the wife and kids shoot?

What bullets/ammo?

Scopes?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

This is awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

The wife finished up her slam with a very nice Copper Springbok. The Copper had been our nemesis for the majority of the trip. We had not been able to get a

IMG_3670copper.jpg

We had spent all week trying to get the boys on a couple of Blesbok. We hadn’t had a ton of success chasing them, so we made the plan to go hunt a new Free range piece of property that had a good bit of Blesbok. It’s a small mountain in the middle of 10 million acres of flat land.
    As soon as we turn into the gate to the property, I spotted some animals way up on the hill. We stopped and got out the binos… Big Kudu. !! Well Kudu weren’t exactly what we were after, but Free Range Kudu in the mountains???? Yes please… We hustled down the road and left someone with a radio to watch and began our hike. Had I known it was going to be as tough as it was, I probably would have left the kids at the truck. I’m glad I didn’t.
    The adventure was one of the best parts of the entire trip. We got to climb a mountain in Africa as an entire family with some good friends. People pay good money just for our side adventure. As push can to shove, we weren’t able to close the deal on the Kudu. We got within 200 yds and I could have easily taken them, but we made the decision to let my little give it a go. As we were working him into place, the saw us… and well, the last time I saw them, they were 2 miles and still digging.
    A couple of memories that were fun here. We ran into a Cobra on the mountain. That makes you watch your step.
    The youngest made the comment: Daddy why are we risking our lives to kill this Kudu…This is stupid. I couldn’t help but agree and laugh at the same time.

IMG_8806.JPG

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_3761.jpg
    Despite not being able to get anything on the mountain hunt, we were able to see Baboon, Kudu, and Blesbok but couldn’t close the deal. We had a nice tailgate lunch and then decided to stop at another property that had some large Hartebeest. We spent almost all the afternoon there, and were able to fire off a few rounds. Right before dark, we were able to close the deal on a fantastic Red Hartebeest. Some of the best pictures of the trip.
    IMG_9047.JPG
    IMG_2531.JPG
    IMG_9051.JPG

The next day was COVID testing day, so we rode into town to get our tests. After about an hour we were in the right spot and got the wand stuck all the way to our brains. On the way back to camp, the master cylinder on the clutch went out and the pedal was stuck on the floor. We were not sure if we were going to be able to get it fixed, but lucky found a part in town and someone to get it on. But being that this is Africa, an hour or so task turned into a 5-6 hour task.
    It left us with just enough time to get back at the Golden hour and make a quick hunt before dark. Little man closed the deal on a Kudu we had passed a few times during the week, but he no longer got that same pass.

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_9062.JPG

Do you want to talk about one excited little boy!!

Wow! Looks like an awesome trip!

Just beautiful Ethan!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Amazing!

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

We still had some blesbok to settle score with. They had given us the slip for almost 2 weeks.

We had seen a common blesbok that was pretty good that we had previously made a few plays on. Little brother even had a chance at him earlier in the week, but shot a little high off the sticks. On the last day, it was very windy and the animals were much spookier than your typical day. It took us a while to find the herd of blesbok and wildebeest he had been hanging with. Once we did, we got the wind right and started off on the stalk. I was extremely proud of the oldest on this stalk. He got too shoot this animal off the sticks at over 125 yds. If you never done that, you dont understand exactly how difficult it is. For an 11 year old to pull this off, is pretty awesome.

IMG_9086.JPG

Little brother could not be outdone, and closed the hunting show for us with a very nice saddled back blesbok.

IMG_9094 (002).JPG

Hunting represents a lot of things to a lot of people in different ways. For me, it has always mirrored life. There are highs and lows, good times and bad, tears and joy. Most of my great memories of people that are special to me have somehow been intertwined with hunting.

The super highs of this trip represent some of the best experiences you can ever have with those you love. Today, 1 week later, we are burying my Mom. That represents the low parts of your life. This hunting piece is not meant as a tribute to her or anything, I mention it only to say that if you have the opportunity to do it, don't make excuses why you shouldn't. One week can mean all the difference in the world.

Ill circle back tonight to answer some of the questions and post some more pics.

Did you leave anything in Africa? Hahah That looks like a trip of a lifetime for sure and something those kids will have a hard time topping that is until you go back hahah!
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

wow.
    just wow

what a family vacation!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Prayers sent for you and your family for the loss of your Mom Sir.
    Bone....

Awesome trip and what a great way to make memories with the whole family! Many are not that lucky. My condolences for your mom. I pray for peace and understanding for your family.

Isaiah 66:13: "As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you."
    "run and gun guide service"

Amazing, you're going to need an addition on your house for all the heads. Congrats on a family trip of a lifetime. My condolences for your loss.

Outstanding stuff. Thanks for sharing
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

What an incredible trip!

Sincere condolences on your mother's passing. Losing a parent is tough.

You have our prayers on your loss.

What an awesome trip, just incredible. You are definitely going to need a very large wall for all those mounts. Congrats to the entire family.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

"I mention it only to say that if you have the opportunity to do it, don't make excuses why you shouldn't."

Well put. Incredible looking trip.
    I'm going to heaven for the weather and hell for the company.

Be dangerous, unpredictable, and make a whole lot of noise.

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    All in what does something like that run (minus airfare) if you don’t mind?
    The truth is you can do a 6-8 animal Safari for $5000 or you can shoot 1-$20,000 animal

I’d comfortably say you can definitely do a full safari with flights, tips, taxidermy, everything for $8000. You have to be picky on your animals though.