Thread: Waterfowl Harvest Surveys and HIP

Default Waterfowl Harvest Surveys and HIP

I have participated in several years of "wing surveys" for the USFWS. Most surveys I have done were for waterfowl but I've also done it for doves here in SC and woodcock. I have friends who say, "Dang, I wish they'd pick me to participate in the harvest surveys!". As we come to dove and early goose / teal season, just a heads up, DON'T ALLOW A LICENSE VENDOR OF WHATEVER STATE THAT YOU HUNT TO JUST HAPHAZARDLY FILL OUT THE Harvest Information Program (HIP) on your behalf. I have witnessed license vendors, some who are hunters, just blow through the HIP data and put "did not hunt" on every question on the HIP survey vs. taking a couple minutes to ask you the questions. Some folks just put "0" for harvest info thinking the "government" doesn't need to know what I kill, well, actually the biologists do! Please do everyone a favor and answer honestly and one day you might have the opportunity to participate in important harvest data collection.

https://www.fws.gov/birds/surveys-an...st-surveys.php

"In addition, when you sign up for HIP, you will be asked to voluntarily answer several questions about your hunting experience during last year's season. Your answers to these questions are not used to compile harvest estimates, but are simply used to identify what types of birds you usually hunt. This allows the USFWS to mail its surveys to the appropriate hunters. For example, most surveys about dove harvest are sent to hunters who hunted doves the previous year, while most waterfowl harvest surveys are sent to hunters who usually hunt ducks and/or geese."

"Most of the HIP sign-up methods rely on the state hunting license vendors to ask hunters the appropriate HIP questions. If you plan to hunt migratory game birds, please make sure that the license vendor asks you the HIP questions and gets you signed up for HIP."
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

How many ducks are actually harvested in Louisiana and reported?

Damn- I always buy my license at the SCDNR office at Ft Johnson- I haven't given HIP numbers there for a few years. Just renewed last week so next year, i'll make sure I do.
    No HIP started same year as deer tags- that was all they were concerned about.

You got your license at Ft J, got HIP added to your license, and they didn't ask you the questions?

Quote Originally Posted by cat III View Post
    How many ducks are actually harvested in Louisiana and reported?
    I'd imagine trusting LFWS waterfowl data would be as foolish as trusting SCDNR's.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.