Thread: Swan Hunt

Default Swan Hunt

Anyone been drawn for the NC Swan permit before? If so what are some good pointers and some guides?
    If You Bait them They Will Come!

We've done it a few times.

All we've every done is ride around and look for them in the fields. Figure out land owner, and go ask permission. Have never been turned down (knock on wood) because they hate them with a passion. Of course we always leave them with a nice tip.

As far as hunting them, just need a dozen or so of snow decoys and maybe a swan silhouette or two. Most of the fields there have irrigation ditches in them so we just laid down in them.

They're very easy to decoy. Best to date was we killed 8 out of a 10 bird group. Could have killed 10 but only had 8 tagholders. They will circle back and recommit even after shooting at them.

I would consider combining your swan hunt with a duck hunt. You go out there for swans only and your hunt could end with one shot.

The swans will often move until noon or after. You may choose to shoot your ducks early and then go after your swan later in the day.
    Last edited by Drylok; 08-20-2021 at 02:39 PM.

Mike Noles with conmans guide service.

I usually get drawn every other year depending upon points and party hunts. I've killed quite a few and I have been with different guides all of whom were good but after the last couple of hunts my first choice would be Tyler O'dell of Blackland Guide service out of Pungo,NC. He is a good young family man and has tons of places and birds. My second choice would be Dustin Wilkins of Fish Duck guide service he is a good young man also. As stated above if you have the time and money book a couple of days for duck and swan if not just do like I do and make a one day roadtrip down and back just to shoot one bird.

Decided to go with Conman for the swan hunt. Got a good friend who lives near Jones Bay so were actually going to make it a 4 day cast and blast trip. Other then the gas licenses and swan hunt its going to be a cheap trip for once.
    If You Bait them They Will Come!