Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stingaree

Default Stingaree

So after all these years, I finally get popped. My daughter hauls a small ray up onto the beach, and I say "no prob, I got this". I carefully pin the tip of the whiplike tail to the sand with my big toe. I swear, the barb was no more than 1/3 of the way from the body. No way the fkr was going to sting me. As soon as I grabbed the hook, the dang thing twists, and nails my toe. This was no random flop. It was a carefully aimed stab. At first, it was like I had just been poked with a needle. Then then the fire started to spread. The only relief was to soak my foot in a sun-heated tide pool. The pain went away after about an hour.

Man I got popped in the hand last year and it went into my thumb joint. On a scale of 1-10 it was a 15. I watched it go into my hand and it had to go an over half inch. It was at least 3 hours of pure misery. Warm water was def the only relief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes cold water activates it. I’ve heard as hot as you can stand is the way to go. I had a buddy get stuck in the hand and that thing blistered up. His hand was messed up for a while.
    867-5309

We have a resident dentist that knows all about stingray bites. First hand knowledge. He got vaccinated way before y'all. Smart man.

Hooks are cheap.

Last edited by b35w; 08-18-2021 at 08:13 PM.

I saw an interview recently with Steve Irwin’s camera man about Steve’s death. Those stingrays seem docile, but they are so quick.

For the first 29 years of my life, I couldn’t wrap my head around the possibility of a grown man being stuck by a skate or stingray.

Handling them seemed 2nd nature to me, and getting stuck was something Yankees, or rookie fisherman did.

9 years later, I feel the same way

But a few years ago, I watched the toughest, rookie, yankee, I know get stuck, and I can’t give you first hand knowledge of the pain, but I can tell you, I never thought I’d see this man buckle.

In conclusion:

Just cut the damn line.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

This past time was the second time it happened to me. The first time I was in high school and I stepped on it. I got a little worried this last time. I got a pretty big dose of venom apparently and it started running up my arm. Pain moved to underneath my arm pit and was worried I was gonna have a dang heart attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

June 2020 got popped in the leg....still got a hole in my leg ....hurt likes bitch
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

Spelling not so good on Friday nights
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by DUCK BUSTER 68 View Post
    Spelling not so good on Friday nights
    It's Wednesday night. BAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Rookie's
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

They aint no joke. I either
    a) Stab them with my filet knife
    b) Cut line and let them keep my hook
    c) All the above

Quote Originally Posted by coonsqualler01 View Post
    We have a resident dentist that knows all about stingray bites. First hand knowledge. He got vaccinated way before y'all. Smart man.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I have amassed quite a collection of stingray barbs in a tackle tray.

When I was a kid growing up on the beach, I'd seen people step on one and it made em fall out. shuffling my feet in the water is still second nature to me now.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by loud1 View Post
    Hooks are cheap.
    I swear they are.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    a) Stab them with my filet knife
    Please don’t, same goes for the crowd that cuts the tail off and throws them back.

Get a good dehooker or cut the line.

Quote Originally Posted by loud1 View Post
    Hooks are cheap.
    Do better than eagle claw.

For the few minutes it would take to re-rig you would have gotten much more fishing time in.
    DILLIGAF

I'll net them and through the net get my pliers on the barb, break it off then dehook as is normal. Barb grows back. Net keeps that tail from whipping around.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton