Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing boat trailer tires

Default Changing boat trailer tires

I need some new tires installed on the trailer and called a few places around town, but not sure I’m getting the response I thought I would. I am in the middle of still moving/renovating and many more things with work so I still have my jacks and tools buried away at my storage. Last time I brought in the wheels but this time I don’t have the time to go find my stuff.

If you are going to get new tires , would you expect the place to jack your trailer and take off the wheel and replace tire, or would you expect to have to bring in the wheels?
    I have called a few places and was told to bring in the wheel. I got one guy who said yea, but didn’t get a warm feeling about it.

Pull up with the trailer and drop it off. They either want the business or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

I've had it both ways. Generally I take tires in for the utility trailers but have drug the equipment trailer in before and they jacked it up.

I wonder if its a liability thing of them changing the tire and something else breaking on the trailer. I sure have seen enough sketch boat trailers to question how they ever make it back to the landing.

When ive brought the trailer in I made sure that they had enough time to do it, because it seems like with trailer tires its busy work between vehicles.

Last 2 times I was in and out in 30 mins and never unhooked.

I mean not everyone knows how to change a tire. Some people dont know how to check air pressure. If you are a tire store and can’t accommodate these people, i wouldnt think you would stay in business long
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Never unhooked trailer, 140.00 and 30 min later I was on my way. They jack a car up, why not a trailer?
    Low country redneck who moved north

Exactly my thoughts. Sit at the ramp for a half hour and it’s rough watching people launch their boat, I can only imagine some of those people trying to change a tire.

It just surprised me that three places acted like I was asking for something completely out of the norm.
    Anyone in Charleston have a shop they would recommend?

I would think they’d jack the trailer up and change the tires. And get Goodyear trailer tires if you trailer a lot, worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    Sit at the ramp for a half hour and it’s rough watching people launch their boat, I can only imagine some of those people trying to change a tire.
    Hahahahaha
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Exactly my thoughts. Sit at the ramp for a half hour and it’s rough watching people launch their boat, I can only imagine some of those people trying to change a tire.

It just surprised me that three places acted like I was asking for something completely out of the norm.
    Anyone in Charleston have a shop they would recommend?
    What size wheels and tires? Do you have the new tires? What part of Charleston? Most auto places don't stock trailer tires. I deal with this all the time with all my work and work boat trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    What size wheels and tires? Do you have the new tires? What part of Charleston? Most auto places don't stock trailer tires. I deal with this all the time with all my work and work boat trailers.
    13” wheels and I have the new tires. I am all over with work and will drive for someone good instead of a guy who’s “done it once before “ but I’ll be around Summerville lately if you have anyone around I can always drop off before heading in and pick up later.

Tried them and they said I had to bring in wheel only

How many axles?

Krt for the win!
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

KRT to CHS!

What would you do if your trailer tire blew out going down the highway?

13” wheels and I have the new tires. I am all over with work and will drive for someone good instead of a guy who’s “done it once before “ but I’ll be around Summerville lately if you have anyone around I can always drop off before heading in and pick up later.

Tried them and they said I had to bring in wheel only
    Call Tupperway tire, that’s Patrick Walters dads place, I’m sure they’ve done a boat trailer tire or 2.

Gerald’s will do it. My dad ran the savannah hwy. shop for 30+ years. Just pull down the side road. They will Jack up the trailer.

I'd recommend buying a good set of tires in advance as most tire shops are not likely to stock them. Just about any trailer shop will mount them, either bring the trailer or the removed tires.
    Make sure they balance them too.

Call Gerald’s a day or two before you want to bring the trailer in, and they can order whatever you want. They also have a large warehouse where they stock many different brands/ sizes of tires.