Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Public Dove Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I’ve hunted them plenty of times and never had an experience I couldn’t just chuckle at and move on. Then again, I ain’t as damn uptight as most of you heathens are.

Ya know, come to think of it, the worst I’ve seen on a public dove field was from a GW…..dude asked my for my gun to check for a plug…..I was shooting a double barrel.
    I had a young game warden ask me if I had a choke tube in my gun and if he could check, I replied yeah it has a choke tube but I don't have a plug. He got all pissy after that. Then he had to go get his supervisor to explain to him what a float coat was.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I usually ride by that field 2-3 times a week in my work travels. Haven’t stopped this year but it’s looked pretty poor the past few
    I'd imagine its the same this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    I had this exact thing happen as well...we were shooting an invite hunt @ Carolina Fresh Farms(maybe?) up around Norway many years back. DNR rolled up on our field and began to check for licenses and plugs. I hand him my license, he hands it back, and rather indignantly says "Since you didn't offer to show me your plug, I assume you don't have one?" I did the puppy dog head turn and looked at him funny....mind you the action is open, and has been sitting, balancing on my shoulder for the last 10-15 mins while we are doing the whole dog and pony show with him 3-4 feet from me. Told him I didn't have a plug but I had two triggers, if that would work instead....
    Hahahahaha!!!!

I told this guy, “I guess I could plug it, but my barrels would blow up” then handed him three shells and the gun

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    I had a young game warden ask me if I had a choke tube in my gun and if he could check, I replied yeah it has a choke tube but I don't have a plug. He got all pissy after that. Then he had to go get his supervisor to explain to him what a float coat was.

They gotta learn somehow. You would think they would come with all the knowledge, but that ain’t real world so I laugh about it and move on. Plus, I also think a lot of it may well be the senior guys knowing someone is green and setting them up for kicks just like sending a new guy on a submarine to go get relative bearing grease, it’s all in fun.

There are members of this forum that can vouch for this…..I had a GW in AR that thought I was the Governor of SC because the Gov’s signature and title is under my picture

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post

They gotta learn somehow. You would think they would come with all the knowledge, but that ain’t real world so I laugh about it and move on. Plus, I also think a lot of it may well be the senior guys knowing someone is green and setting them up for kicks just like sending a new guy on a submarine to go get relative bearing grease, it’s all in fun.

There are members of this forum that can vouch for this…..I had a GW in AR that thought I was the Governor of SC because the Gov’s signature and title is under my picture
    I hope you had some fun with that
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Of course, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    We used to hunt one in Lee county in high school. We'd haul ass after class on Wednesdays. We weren't supposed to hunt without an adult but they always let us slide in. It was always mediocre.
    If you and I are thinking about the same field I got it a few Wednesdays myself. Had a few that were flat out barn burners.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I miss that field. Apparently when the economy crashed years ago I noticed that and a few other fields fell off the public field last and never returned. The old fields at Bear Island used to be good shoots as well. I'd be leaving with my limit before the 5 o'clock crowd trickled in after quitting time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    If you and I are thinking about the same field I got it a few Wednesdays myself. Had a few that were flat out barn burners.

That sounds like the old Atkins field, was a super Wednesday hunt. We shot it often and once when the big snowstorm blew in, snow was so thick we couldnt see birds, we got in the trucks and headed home before it piled up.

Sounds right. Not far off 15 on the Sumter side of Bishopville.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yup, shot some good birds there, think it's closed now. Fields on both sides of the paved road

the one i'm thinking of was in Wisacky.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Always a good time watching full grown obese men run their one time a year to get to a spot while carrying all their stuff. hahah good times..
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I refuse to run but a power walk may be required, Olympic style!
    Low country redneck who moved north

the one i'm thinking of was in Wisacky.
    Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    I refuse to run but a power walk may be required, Olympic style!
    Hahaha watched several last year hahaha not worth a dead sprint. When they miss I'll get my chance to miss hahaha
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I miss that field. Apparently when the economy crashed years ago I noticed that and a few other fields fell off the public field last and never returned. The old fields at Bear Island used to be good shoots as well. I'd be leaving with my limit before the 5 o'clock crowd trickled in after quitting time.

It was nice when BI planted, now that they quit Donnelly has become way too overcrowded. Dont quote me but believe there were over 300 guns last opener and 500 birds taken, both were at one time capable of 6-7bird hunts or better w regularity

Bear Island Wednesday afternoons in the mid 1980's was usually a pretty good hunt.
    DILLIGAF

I've never been to one.

I got invited to a hunt once without the knowledge it was a pay hunt.. I felt violated