Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Dove Fields

Haven't been to a public field in many years. Used to go to a few. Its a complete shit show the first day but slows down considerably after that. The first hunt on each should be a draw with the number capped.

I have never had any trouble on a public field. Sure its crowded at some and wish dads would teach kids a little more about not shooting at a bird a mile away. Never had anyone shoot at a low bird or get heated over a dove. Guess I have gotten lucky.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Went to that new cut field many years ago myself. There were some slant eye folks there shooting for food and they didn't miss.
    I shoot public now, it's can be crowded and the mojo's. It's more of just getting out and shooting the gun now days, not about killing a limit of birds.
    Low country redneck who moved north

I have been shot, once, and I thought a fella was gonna cut DC over a dove one year on a public field, but that's part of it and what makes it fun. Same field a guy carried a 20ft stick with a mojo on it and stuck it about 20 feet off the tree line.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

We used to hunt one in Lee county in high school. We'd haul ass after class on Wednesdays. We weren't supposed to hunt without an adult but they always let us slide in. It was always mediocre.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

I used to simply take my dog, sit in the shade and get my limit without lifting the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    I have been shot, once, and I thought a fella was gonna cut DC over a dove one year on a public field, but that's part of it and what makes it fun. Same field a guy carried a 20ft stick with a mojo on it and stuck it about 20 feet off the tree line.
    Wasn’t fun when I thought I was gonna have to lay a gun barrel across that mans head and you were over there laughing about it.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

The canal fields are the biggest shit show I've ever seen. Had some good shoots over there in years past though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I used to simply take my dog, sit in the shade and get my limit without lifting the gun.
    Under a pecan tree by chance?

Every public field I've ever been on would get a book full of tickets written if they were private. The most baited fields in the state are public fields ESPECIALLY the youth hunt fields.

Say huh?....

Anywho, My son took 10 consecutive steps last night so it looks like he should be ready to go by opening day. Drop me a pin on those youth fields you speak of.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Every public field I've ever been on would get a book full of tickets written if they were private. The most baited fields in the state are public fields ESPECIALLY the youth hunt fields.
    I’ve never seen a public field that I thought was baited.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    No interest in hunting a public dove field. I know this from experience , Rubberheads are found on Private fields too.

Seen more reckless, dangerous behavior on private fields than I thought possible. Saw one fella shot twice. On the same day, by the same shooter. Drew blood both times if you can believe it.
    Careful you might lose credibility with your circle of friends in the vaccine thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gunning Bird View Post
    Under a pecan tree by chance?
    Don’t you know it…..

I've never hunted a public dove field. The mere thought of hunting that close to strangers is enough for me to stay at the house.

I’ve hunted them plenty of times and never had an experience I couldn’t just chuckle at and move on. Then again, I ain’t as damn uptight as most of you heathens are.

Ya know, come to think of it, the worst I’ve seen on a public dove field was from a GW…..dude asked my for my gun to check for a plug…..I was shooting a double barrel.

Truth Tater.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I’ve hunted them plenty of times and never had an experience I couldn’t just chuckle at and move on. Then again, I ain’t as damn uptight as most of you heathens are.

Ya know, come to think of it, the worst I’ve seen on a public dove field was from a GW…..dude asked my for my gun to check for a plug…..I was shooting a double barrel.
    In his defense you had two Benelli M-1's duct taped to each other so I'll give him a pass.

But he still should mind his own business.

Public fields were great once, I hunted them in the late 70’s and 80’s. They were usually clear cuts that had been pushed up and replanted in pines. The road beds, open areas, and other rows were planted in millet. Most of the time the fields would be 100+ acres and never really seemed terribly crowded. As those fields were kinda phased out (not sure why-logging changes, land management, etc.) My kids got old enough to shoot and we went on many youth draws that were good hunts, and you drew stands. I think a stand draw system would be good. But I wonder are that many more people dove hunting now, but think it’s more related to less acreage available. Most of the public now are 30 acres or less.