Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food plot planting steps

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Planted 9 acres of red clover the weekend. Plowed twice, fertilized , drag harrow, packed, drilled and packed again

Attachment 68164
    How many acres of food plots you have planted down there? Looks good as always!

Quote Originally Posted by bbhntr48 View Post
    How many acres of food plots you have planted down there? Looks good as always!
    Not sure about acreage but have 26 other plots that have been plowed and will be planted in next week to 10 days in rape a turnips
    7C689684-B6A5-437F-99BA-945061479BE8.jpg
    80-20 Genaration

I usually plant a premixed fall blend and the rape seems to be the deer's favorite. When the rape is gone, they'll eat the diakon turnip greens but it's pretty obvious they prefer the rape.

Oats and Wheat went in the ground on Saturday. Hoping this rain comes through tonight-Wednesday and it dumps a huge amount on us. if not, may all be a waste as it doesn't look like it will rain again for a good two weeks.

Question for the group --- i happened upon a dicks sporting goods about a year or so ago and they were trying to unload all their hunting stuff. They had a number of bags of seed that they were basically giving away. Most of it was rape/turnip blends. There was a bag of clover as well, that we threw out in a few places. Does seed have a shelf life? Is seed that may be a year to two years old done? it had been in a sealed bag and kept in my garage. Wondering if that will come up or if the seed was too old. Guess i'll find out, but anyone have any experience with this?
    Last edited by gamecock1974; 09-20-2021 at 07:53 AM.

“Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

firm no
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock1974 View Post
    Oats and Wheat went in the ground on Saturday. Hoping this rain comes through tonight-Wednesday and it dumps a huge amount on us. if not, may all be a waste as it doesn't look like it will rain again for a good two weeks.

Question for the group --- i happened upon a dicks sporting goods about a year or so ago and they were trying to unload all their hunting stuff. They had a number of bags of seed that they were basically giving away. Most of it was rape/turnip blends. There was a bag of clover as well, that we threw out in a few places. Does seed have a shelf life? Is seed that may be a year to two years old done? it had been in a sealed bag and kept in my garage. Wondering if that will come up or if the seed was too old. Guess i'll find out, but anyone have any experience with this?
    seed has shelf life. germination rate dependent on lots of things, including how it was stored. a trick is to get a wet napkin and put some seed in it to see if it germinates. a year or two old and kept out of heat and humidity should be OK, at least.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock1974 View Post

A year and you’ll loose about 10-15% two years probably 30-35%. Put it out a little heavy and go with it
    80-20 Genaration