Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food plot planting steps

Default Food plot planting steps

I’ve gotten my process for planting down pretty well. Generally will cut my plots, then come back and spray them with glyphosate - then a couple weeks later burn, disc, broadcast and cover.

The part always wonder about is whether the cutting on the front end is wasted energy. For those of you who go through this exercise each year, any advice? Cut it all first or just go to spraying. Cutting it takes 3/4 of a day or so - so kind of thinking about skipping it - but don’t want to spray with out cutting and then find that I wasted more time because spraying the jungle didn’t work.

Thoughts?

Spray it.

Drill through it.

Kill goats.

In my opinion, and I do this for a living, if broadcasting is your only option. Then a very well prepared seedbed is crucial. That said I would...Mow, burn it down with chemical, disc it until you have a level even seed bed, then plant, cover...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Mow, wait a few weeks, spray, till (whichever way you are able), then plant. Most folks ain't got a no till drill
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Depends, winter or spring plots? Winter I’m not spraying anything, bush hog it, disc it, plant it. Summer is a waste of time and energy in my situation. I’ve been leaving the winter stuff to seed and let the birds feed in/have cover all spring and summer, deer around here don’t need extra encouragement during the summer and won’t let anything come up anyway.

Thanks. This is all for fall/winter planting. I am in the zone that doesn’t start rifle until October 11 - so not in a huge hurry. I usually plant around sept 15. Just find if I bush hog and then try to disc it - it is still so matted down that it takes forever to get it so a nice dirt seed bed. So have always sprayed it and burned it afterwards. Find that makes it a ton easier to disc and I just really enjoy burning shit.

Going to try to just spray it tomorrow and see if that kills it all when it is 3 feet tall and then burn it. Just worried that won’t kill everything and it won’t burn. Guess I will live and learn.

Thanks for the knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock1974 View Post
    Thanks. This is all for fall/winter planting. I am in the zone that doesn’t start rifle until October 11 - so not in a huge hurry. I usually plant around sept 15. Just find if I bush hog and then try to disc it - it is still so matted down that it takes forever to get it so a nice dirt seed bed. So have always sprayed it and burned it afterwards. Find that makes it a ton easier to disc and I just really enjoy burning shit.

Going to try to just spray it tomorrow and see if that kills it all when it is 3 feet tall and then burn it. Just worried that won’t kill everything and it won’t burn. Guess I will live and learn.

Thanks for the knowledge.
    That’s why you mow before you spray. What you mow down will die and become fuel and then what you spray will also die. Much better way to get a good kill.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    That’s why you mow before you spray. What you mow down will die and become fuel and then what you spray will also die. Much better way to get a good kill.

Mow...then let it begin to green back up...then hit it with your burn down chemicals

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Depends, winter or spring plots? Winter I’m not spraying anything, bush hog it, disc it, plant it. Summer is a waste of time and energy in my situation. I’ve been leaving the winter stuff to seed and let the birds feed in/have cover all spring and summer, deer around here don’t need extra encouragement during the summer and won’t let anything come up anyway.
    When I was doing a few a year this was my mindset. Once I got my hands on a roto tiller the bush hog stayed in the barn. I’m talking 6 ft milk weed and all kinds of weeded mess turned to dirt in 1 pass.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    Mow...then let it begin to green back up...then hit it with your burn down chemicals

This right here. A lot of the stuff you mow won't come back anyway
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Burning also promotes nutrient loss, those plants rotting equals fertilizer you don’t have to pay for.

Mow...Let green-up...Glyphosate... Fertilize...Harrow...Plant

Any shortcut from that and you will pay for it in reduced success of your plots...Till the dead vegetative matter in for soil building...Do not burn, it robs you of soil building ability and moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    Spray it.

Drill through it.

Kill goats.

This but depending on height I will bushog first. With the first being born in March, I could not keep the clover clean. So I have mowed next I will spray with clethodim and buteryac. Will drill in October or if we catch a good rain in September.

I would also like to add that plowing and turning over soil has its cons as well. Plowing actually hurts soil.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 08-13-2021 at 08:25 PM.

we just bushhog a couple weeks in advance, rip the ground up with a spring tooth ripper attachment thing, then till it to fine dirt. Spread fert and seed then cultipack. If we get rain the plots do great, if no rain they dont . . . . . seems it all depends on regular rain after planting. One year we got rain, plots looked great then a long dry spell, burned most stuff pretty bad, lots were poor that year, its all about the rain IMO

Burning it will put ash in the soul. Good thing. Rotting grass and weeds isn’t going to give you sustainable nutrients so you still need to fertilize if your want the most out of it. If you plant clover the go with zero nitrogen fertilizer. Less weed competition early on
    80-20 Genaration

Going to try the no till next year. Planting this fall and during the spring early summer going to plant a mix of buckwheat and vetch. Going to kill it then lay it all down and plant in the stems. See how that works.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Mow wait two or three days, spray then when all the shit dead, disc and plant. Plant clover only after daytime temps remain reliably below 90 degrees. Ladino or Duranna are your best bets.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Frost will kill the buckwheat if the deer haven',t don't have to spray unless it just makes you happy.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Mow, wait a few weeks, spray, till (whichever way you are able), then plant. Most folks ain't got a no till drill
    This is way we do ours.

No grain drill and not sure too many folks have one.

My deer hunting partner looked at a used one for $14K and that is a lot of money for something to me that will not make a big deal

We cut, then spray. Come back and run AP plow and then a tiller. Cultipacker, seed and cultipacker again Watch/shoot deer

As old hunting partner told me years ago, “we ain’t farming or planting damn gardens We just trying to get deer to come out and feed on something while we get the cross hairs on the shoulder “. (RIP Mike Hunt )
    Last edited by tprice; 08-29-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Planted 9 acres of red clover the weekend. Plowed twice, fertilized , drag harrow, packed, drilled and packed again

C7D1EDFF-FA32-4889-9101-C4A79FF4E22D.jpg
    80-20 Genaration