Thread: OFA Hip Certification

Default OFA Hip Certification

I got a call from a breeder last night wanting to use my Braque for a stud. The problem is time is of the essence. I need his eyes and hips certified within 8 days if at all possible. I got an eye appointment made for Monday. I have no idea where to get a OFA hip certification. I am in Columbia. Any referrals would be appreciated.
    Last edited by CofC Waterfowler; 08-12-2021 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    I got a call from a breeder last night wanting to use my Braque for a stud. The problem is time is of the essence. I need his eyes and hips certified within 8 days if at all possible. I got an eye appointment made for Monday. I have no idea where to get a OFA hip certification. I am in Columbia. Any referrals would be appreciated.
    All you'll need is to have the radiographs taken by your veterinarian and have them give you a digital copy via thumb drive or email. Go to https://www.ofa.org/application-forms and submit your application.

I doubt you'll get it back in 8 days.

Oh. And your dog has to be at least 2 years old.

I figured 8 days would be a problem. Thank you for tue help Glenn. I’m going to get the certification anyway for the future.

Who you breeding with? Don't see many braques around and I only know of one female.

Definitely don’t see you getting it back in 8 days. Easy process but make sure you use a Vet that is familiar with doing OFAs

In Columbia….

I am pretty sure ambassador AH does it. Good folks husband/wife team Dr Trimmier.

Another that may be worth asking is Capital Animal Hospital, Dr Suber. Primarily an ortho surgeon but he may do it?

You may be able to request a STAT read on the radiographs and get it in time. It would cost more but worth looking into.

Penn hip is another option for hip evaluation. It has been awhile since I have kept up on it all and not sure if AKC recognizes it but is generally accepted as a good way to rate hips.

Most vets doing this will require or strongly recommend sedation for best positioning/imaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's possible. It's a digital file so you can send them to OFA as soon as your vet does the graphs. And they can tell you the results over the phone so you don't have to wait on the paperwork to know. It just all depends on how busy OFA is at the time and how quickly they can look at the graphs.

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    I figured 8 days would be a problem. Thank you for tue help Glenn. I’m going to get the certification anyway for the future.
    I may be wrong but whatever x ray you get before he's two years old will not matter. Pretty sure they set that age because everything is done growing and any abnormalities would have appeared by that age. Not trying to be a smart-ass just didn't want you wasting your money. Someone that knows more about it than me can verify.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BCR3 View Post
    I may be wrong but whatever x ray you get before he's two years old will not matter. Pretty sure they set that age because everything is done growing and any abnormalities would have appeared by that age. Not trying to be a smart-ass just didn't want you wasting your money. Someone that knows more about it than me can verify.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    You are correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.