Thread: Nesting Box Summer Clean Out

Default Nesting Box Summer Clean Out

I hadn't checked my boxes in 2 months due to this being the last clutch of the season. Heard word from a fishermen that a snake was peeking out of one of my boxes so I hit all of them on Murray yesterday. You can see in the one picture how the wax myrtles had grown and the snake was able to reach the box. This was the only box that got a snake this year. I cussed myself as this box had put out one brood already and I should have noticed how much the brush had grown.

I used to painstakingly count empty shells to try to estimate how many ducklings hatched and jumped. Too hot to mess around on the lake right now tho. I found a couple boxes that were abandoned and eggs merely rot and many explode as you can see in the last picture. You want to handle them gently to try to avoid them blowing up in your hand!

Consider taking advantage of higher water levels and checking nest boxes, just make sure to carry a can or two of spray and BEWARE of wasps! They got me yesterday and my hand is still swollen today!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill