Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stocking White Bass

Screw fish. Start stocking pheasants.

It's a scientific fact that hunting > fishing

If we have learned anything in the last 25 years, it's that stocking a bird of any kind makes us dumber.

Back to white bass....
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

We stocked turkeys. Look how smart all turkey hunters are now. Super smart.

Quote Originally Posted by CreekGeek View Post
    I’d be happy if they quit stocking invasive blue catfish and starting stocking white bass. I miss them.
    Fixed it.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Marv870 View Post
    Ice fly and popping cork brings back great memories of fishing wateree with my grandad
    The Ice Fly was the ticket!!
    Kill big, kill often

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    We stocked turkeys. Look how smart all turkey hunters are now. Super smart.
    They restocked wild turkeys.

They introduced non migrating Canada geese, Mottled ducks, Blue catfish, and Flathead catfish.

You win some and lose some.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Manns, I loved those things, ha

Attachment 67680
    That was the ticket.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Mottled ducks were only successful because they were a wild, non-migratory bird suitable for our coastal marshes.

Can you imagine if the SCDNR today had half the drive in terms of waterfowl, as those in the 1970s?

Public duck hunting would be leaps and bounds from it is today.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

But aren't white bass abundant in lake Wateree?

Wouldn't that put some in Lake Marion naturally?

Why don't we catch any now?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Because our dnr stocked perch to feed the non native blue cats they stocked. The perch eat white bass eggs and fry.

So our dnr was successful in eradicating any native vegetation and the white bass. Go management team!

Like catdaddy said, they need to start stocking largemouth. Can we just get rid of our dnr and sub it out to some dnr retirees out of Texas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    But aren't white bass abundant in lake Wateree?

Wouldn't that put some in Lake Marion naturally?

Why don't we catch any now?
    They're not, they used to be, at least for me. I'd chase them on top for years, I cannot remember catching them in plentiful numbers since the late 90s. While we were living at our lakehouse while building our new house, I chased schooling fish on top for a straight year and a half. I probably fished three or four days a week. I caught four.

I have caught more black bass schooling on top then white bass.. I caught more blue cats with spinner baits or plastic messing around then white bass on Wateree.

I’ve caught five white bass this week in wateree creek schooling in front of my dock. No size I’ll catch a good one every blue moon while the stripers are schooling in the fall. I always turn them loose.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    Because our dnr stocked perch to feed the non native blue cats they stocked.
    Is there proof to this?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by mudnut1970 View Post
    I’ve caught five white bass this week in wateree creek schooling in front of my dock. No size I’ll catch a good one every blue moon while the stripers are schooling in the fall. I always turn them loose.
    Post a pic of said white bass. Those purple jaw fish you say are white bass are perch!

People are stupid. Someone put perch in the lake duct tape lives on in Florence. While we are doing the wishing thing let’s stock some stripers in Pee Dee. White bass on lights used to be fun on wateree.

Ok bitch I know the difference. Caught over 200 perch a week ago. I’ll get you a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by mudnut1970 View Post
    Nice, I actually haven't even fished up there throughout this summer.. other then wading to the rocks on either side of my place with ultralight or a flyrod.

The white bass aren’t thick like they use to be. But you can catch a few. Got into a big school of fish going up the river in about three foot of water. They were mix a lot of little stripers,white bass and some big large mouths. Had one go 7 lbs. and no fish were hurt.

Used to catch the hell outa of White Bass back years ago. Have not a clue why but was told the perch were the reason of the decline
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"