Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stocking White Bass

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    Because our dnr stocked perch to feed the non native blue cats they stocked. The perch eat white bass eggs and fry.

So our dnr was successful in eradicating any native vegetation and the white bass. Go management team!

Like catdaddy said, they need to start stocking largemouth. Can we just get rid of our dnr and sub it out to some dnr retirees out of Texas?
    Texas is covered up in white bass. We'd troll through a school with Rattle traps and catch 5 at a time. Spring runs were awesome too.

I fish three lakes in NC that have White Bass. The numbers are declining and have been for the last ten or so years. These lakes have no white perch, for the past couple years the state has been doing studies. I have talked to some of the people doing studies and don't believe it's not any kind of new fish as shock studies and other studies show no new species. The results they are getting say it is a slit type problem. They believe these fish require cleaner water than others, they have said it is to early to tell, but are leaning towards this. I do know all these lakes have filled in quite a bit in the last 10 to 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    Can we just get rid of our dnr and sub it out to some dnr retirees out of Texas?
    What's ironic, is that our SCDNR taught Texas DNR how to stock stripers back in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by mudnut1970 View Post
    The white bass aren’t thick like they use to be. But you can catch a few. Got into a big school of fish going up the river in about three foot of water. They were mix a lot of little stripers,white bass and some big large mouths. Had one go 7 lbs. and no fish were hurt.
    I run into the white bass on Wateree from time to time as well. They are definitely there…

Coagaree River 1967.

Anyone know when the majority of them disappeared from Santee?

Late 90s.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.