Thread: Shooting with glasses

Default Shooting with glasses

What if you have bifocals or progressive lens?

Would a pair without these be easier to use?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

No, they are not easier to use for me. I've found it is almost as if I have to retrain my eyes when I put on my shooting glasses. Even in the stand, I found I needed bifocals and midrange vision correction and not long range vision only.

So, I got a regular set of progressive glasses with a bigger frame and thus more glass. More glass eliminated all of the problems I'd experienced bow hunting previously [blurred vision; frame in the way of my eye and the peep and pin, etc.]
    Last edited by w33kender; 08-11-2021 at 09:28 AM.

Or, you could just get a pair of shooting glasses with your distance prescription….since they’re for shooting and all.

Get you some contacts you old ass bastard!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Or, you could just get a pair of shooting glasses with your distance prescription….since they’re for shooting and all.
    Would that help focusing on the sight pins and then again at 20-25 yds?

They best shooters wear rose or yella colored aviators.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Would that help focusing on the sight pins and then again at 20-25 yds?

I wear progressives daily. I had a pair of distance only with yellow lenses made like Fish said, made a huge difference with a rifle, shotgun and most of all a bow. Through a bow peep it was like double vision, a scope was almost as bad trying to find consistency.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Just wait until them damn glasses fog up. Then you wish you had contacts.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I tried progressive lenses and they turned me into a bobble-head. To find the right focus, you have to tilt your head up and down. Even though I ditched them and now use cheapo readers for close and nothing for distant, I still find myself looking down my nose to see anything close up.

For rifle shooting, you should be able to focus your scope so that you don't need to wear your glasses, shouldn't you?

Someone needs to invent a bow sight with adjustable yardage that has a holographic dot scope like a Trijicon RMR so you can focus on the target and not have to worry about where your head is.

I also tried contact lenses that had one eye focused for distance and the other for reading. Everything looked like I was drunk.

I’ve worn contacts for 20 years but had lasik done 3 weeks ago. It’s amazing to me how they can take someone blind as a bat and give them 20/20 or better vision in 20 seconds. Recovery was nothing and I threw away all my contact stuff this weekend. For what I spent on contacts annually, I’ll pay for the lasik in 7 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Those glasses remind me of Johnny Depp in Fear and Loathing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I tried progressive lenses and they turned me into a bobble-head. To find the right focus, you have to tilt your head up and down. Even though I ditched them and now use cheapo readers for close and nothing for distant, I still find myself looking down my nose to see anything close up.

For rifle shooting, you should be able to focus your scope so that you don't need to wear your glasses, shouldn't you?

Someone needs to invent a bow sight with adjustable yardage that has a holographic dot scope like a Trijicon RMR so you can focus on the target and not have to worry about where your head is.
    I think I've seen something similar years ago.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    I’ve worn contacts for 20 years but had lasik done 3 weeks ago. It’s amazing to me how they can take someone blind as a bat and give them 20/20 or better vision in 20 seconds. Recovery was nothing and I threw away all my contact stuff this weekend. For what I spent on contacts annually, I’ll pay for the lasik in 7 years.
    Where did you have it done? Want to get it in the next year or so so I can kiss contacts goodbye also.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

"The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Quote Originally Posted by cusportsman View Post
    Where did you have it done? Want to get it in the next year or so so I can kiss contacts goodbye also.
    I did it at the Eye Guys of Augusta, at the recommendation of several friends. What's crazy is the time it takes to do it. It literally took about 10-15 seconds per eye. My eye insurance would pay around 40% if I went with a preferred provider, but I decided I'd rather have a trusted doctor do it and pay the difference. Dr. Bertram and that staff are extremely customer-friendly and the service was top notch. We walked me through everything and everything he said was 100% true. I had normal discomfort just after the procedure, but he told me to go home and sleep for 2 hours. I did and when I woke up, the discomfort was gone and I have not had a seconds trouble. I went from -6.25 before lasik to being able to read a clock on the wall seconds after the procedure. My eyes get a little better every day but I can see better now than when I wore contacts. My only regret was not doing it sooner. If you're serious, I'd suggest you make a way to do it now and not keep putting it off like I did. Feel free to PM me.
    Go Tigers!