Thread: A Louisiana Fishing Trip For The Ages

Default A Louisiana Fishing Trip For The Ages

It's always fun to go to new places. Whether it's hunting, fishing or just seeing a new place it's usually a good time. Often I (and I'm guessing you) dream of a new place and what mysteries it holds. Maybe its a 170" whitetail or a 380" bull. I try to keep my mind in check because I don't want a great trip ruined because of unrealistic expectations. This isn't one of those trips. I had high expectations, but I had no idea what we were heading towards. This is one of the few fishing stories that's all true.

Last year my friend Justin and I were hanging out one afternoon before heading into the whitetail woods and we starting discussing our mutual desire to go on a fishing trip. A year earlier Justin's dad and a friend had gone down to Grand Isle, LA and caught some really great red and black drum. We looked at the calendar and picked out some dates the first week of March. I did some research and found some small beach cabins that were very reasonably priced and we sent them a check. The plan was made. We would leave Thursday morning and drive the 12hrs to Grand Isle to fish for a couple days then drive home on Sunday. We would be pulling a 14' john boat down there and fishing in the marsh and on the massive flats. For those of you that don't know where Grand Isle is look 50 miles due south of New Orleans and find where the last road ends. You drive on bridges for hours to get to the island and when you arrive you can see oil rigs a few miles off shore. Its a cool island town. Both Justin and I have caught our fair share or redfish but never a giant and neither of us had ever caught a black drum. Our goal was to catch both.

We arrived Thursday afternoon checked into our cabin and headed to the water. It didn't go well. We caught a few saltwater catfish, but that was it. We didn't have any real fresh bait and we didn't have any crabs (which we were told to use). After an excursion to find live crabs on the main land we were back on the water before lunch time. It took a little bit of moving around, but finally we found the fish in 2 different main locations and when I say we found the fish I mean WE FOUND THE FISH! We fished Friday for about 7 hours then because of bad wind only fished Saturday afternoon for about 4 hours. We averaged a fish over 20lbs every 11 minutes. We both caught a big red 41" and 43". I caught the biggest black drum Saturday afternoon right before we left he was 37" long and 37" around (last pic). It was nonstop action with big hard fighting fish.

We even drove a 14' john boat out into the Gulf of Mexico just to say we did. That is not advised. We immediately discovered we made a mistake and turned around while fearing for our lives, lol. Fun times were had by all.

AE944DE3-7A46-47B7-8D43-658E7EFA4DD7.jpg
    6629224E-ABC2-4BD3-A871-523F6C517E96.jpg
    E8682674-40DC-4D65-B050-AB6D47761224.jpg
    A4232413-1238-471D-8B1F-373FCB1DADAE.jpg
    5BD53EB2-AC62-44F6-80BB-F3A2ED583377.jpg
    F32BF44D-0383-460C-A4E8-9872F7D01EB8.jpg
    46B186E1-F164-42FB-B7D5-3A638F5D68A5.jpg

Looks like a good time for sure. Nice catchin.

It's a neat place and you can eat the amberjacks (no worms).

Nice! So yall fished exclusively with quartered blue crabs? Great trip!

Damn!

Man that sounds like a good time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
    Nice! So yall fished exclusively with quartered blue crabs? Great trip!
    Yes

We fished our first trip in Grand Isle this past spring. We are looking forward to doing it again next year.

Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next trip , go to Venice for a Tuna excursion. Great place , people, and food.

Looks like yall had a great time.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Nice. Looks like y’all had a blast. Venice is on my bucket list.

Fun trip
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Nice. Looks like y’all had a blast. Venice is on my bucket list.
    Been several times to catch the big Yellow Bastards. Venice is such a unique place. Truly a destination where you don't know what is going to jump on the hook. We have always caught fish. Generally, the guys we fish with want to catch the boat limit of BFT and then focus on Yellowfins. Wahoo and even Mahi if they are around.. Billfish are not uncommon. Pretty cool to ride down the MS river and end up in the Gulf . The oil rigs are not far and the time in transit to fishing is short.

I like to be there in March or September .. flat seas and not Africa hot. My favorite time has to September to trail the shrimp boats and sight fish for YFT. That is fun. Seeing a giant smash a piece of cut bait thrown in it's path is akin to topwater plugging for Bass... except the strike feels like your shoulder will get pulled from the socket.

Fresh yellowfin is hard to beat. Lots of guides that know the deal and will put you on fish.. We stay in a cabin complex that has good lodgings, outdoor grills, ice machines and a blast freezer which is great to ensure your fish is solid for the ride home. Bonus is that you can call and have fresh shrimp brought to your cabin to cook or carry back. Great trip indeed. Strongly considering a trip this year.

voodoofishingcharters.com
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

0C82BC01-AC25-461D-83D4-6B01C00B5875.jpeg357D1287-F512-4997-BC99-7AF95EE8C717.jpeg
    Fish with voodoo two weeks ago. We already have two trips booked one in October and February. We stayed at one of their house boats. The tuna were caught in 6000 feet of water. The yellow tails were right at a 100 lbs.

Is that justin durr?

Dang right Mudnut!

That is a great trip.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ReelHard View Post
    Is that justin durr?
    Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Next trip , go to Venice for a Tuna excursion. Great place , people, and food.

Looks like yall had a great time.
    I’m not sure if the john boat would be up to that type of adventure, lol.

Headed to Venice in 10 days. Fishing three days inshore and one day offshore.