Thread: Sonar

Default Sonar

I’m considering buying a new unit for my crappie rig. I m not interested in live scope, but know I want down imaging, and maybe side scan. Ive used an old hummingbird unit for years , so I don’t know a ton about what’s on the market now.
    What do y’all use or recommend in the 500-750$ price range?

Lowrance FS Elite.

If you are in SC and fish Hartwell, Clark Hill, Murray, Wateree, Moultrie ,or Lake Marion......having a unit that will read the Cmap Precision card is the best money you can spend. It will put you way ahead of the rest without live scope, active Target, or 360 imaging.

Its a little more than $500 but you will not regret it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 08-09-2021 at 10:22 AM.

Hummingbird Helix 5, part number 410220-1 is a good depth finder. $350 ish. Larger screen is more $$

I run Lowrance and Hummingbird on my boat. Lowrance HDS with Structure Scan a GPS features mainly for trolling jogs. Then use the old Hummingbird 597ci HD with down imaging more for vertical fishing. Its on the dash but soon to be upgraded.

If the Hummingbird shows me a crappie on a brush pile I can normally catch one there.

I run Lowrances on my rig (9" Elite) but fish with boys that run humminbirds quite a bit. I like the humminbirds down and side more than my lowrance but the lowrance is more than capable if you take some time to get used to it and play around with it. I like the ease of use on the Lowrance (touch screen) vs the humminbirds (I only have knowledge of the Helix units.)
    Last edited by SCswampCAT; 08-09-2021 at 11:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Side imaging will be your best friend crappie fishing. Go with the the biggest screen you can afford. Humminbird is #1 for side imaging, but the Active imaging 3-1 (lowrance and simrad) and the gt-56 (garmin) are pretty close. I have spent plenty of time using all of them guiding for crappie.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mallardman25; 08-11-2021 at 04:39 PM.