Thread: CMC PT130 wiring question

Default CMC PT130 wiring question

Has anyone ever wired a cmc put 130 to the trim switch on end of big tiller on a Yamaha F40? Both have 3 wires but colors are different.
    All Men are self made, but, only the successful ones admit it!

2thDoc "because nothing matters till the games are played and clemson people have enjoyed success and know how to deal with it.

any other stupid questions?"......Classic!

CP#96743

Have not done it but should be pretty simple. One of those wires would be hot to the switch. Other two are for up and down. If you can find the hot color then can twist the wires together on others and trial and error up and down. You might be able to find a diagram online what color is what for each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post on the "Arkansas Tiller Handle Outlaws" Facebook page, and someone should know the answer.

Yes I have. But it wasn't a PT130, it was a Hydraulic hack plate. Should work the same.

I used a oem Yamaha power tilt/ trim relay to handle the voltage and ran a separate wire into the handle right along with the big bundle that runs from the motor into the handle. You know, the 10 wire bundle that has the ignition, tilt/trim etc, wires. I soldered all the wire connections and used heat shrink. Been rocking it ever since

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

My bad, just realized we're talking about different switches. Most Yamaha tillers have a blank the spot on the top of the tiller handle that's covered with a little black piece of plastic. But on compatible 4 stroke outboards there's a switch to adjust the rpm of the engine for use in trolling. That's what I used to adjust the jack plate.

If anything your job will be even easier cause the wires you're looking to use that go directly from the tilt/trim switch to where the relay would be are already in the bundle, so you can catch them under the cowl to connect em to the relay I mentioned. So you have the benefit of not running any new wiring out to the handle like I did.

Last edited by willyworm; 08-13-2021 at 09:15 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Forgot to mention, remember.... blue=sky, green=grass.

So blue is trim up, green is trim down. The other wire is constant +12v. That way when you hit the trim up button it completes the circuit sending voltage to the relay and the relay in turn sends the voltage to the trim motor, unit trims up. Hard wire a positive from the motor's battery cable, where it bolts to the solenoid that starts the engine, from there to red lug the trim relay. But make sure you put it on correct side of the solenoid. You want to use the constant voltage side, not the side that only gets voltage when the key it turned to start the motor. I'd use 14gauge or so. Make sure to put a fuse on the positive wire, in case of some kind of failure to make sure you don't fry your other electrical stuff. Then just catch ground it wherever. There's multiple grounding points on the engine's block. I'd just use whichever one is closest.

The Yamaha relay is marked for the applicable wire connections. Red lug is +12v, black is ground (-12v). Then connect the blue wire from the trim motor to the blue lug and green to green.

There's a connector with the small control wires in it coming out the relay that you'll need to chop off. The 3rd wire in that connector that's not green or blue wires 'should' be your constant +12v to send to the trim switch at the end of your handle. But it might be ground, I can't recall. I'd solder and heat shrink those small connections, at minimum use crimp connectors and some silicone, then heat shrink. And just Google trim unit relay wiring or something like that. There's tons of drawings that lay it out.

There's a bunch of generic relays for cheaper than Yamaha's oem, but shop around and make that choice for yourself. Even the generic ones are still light years beyond the garbage relays that come with the trim unit.

Last edited by willyworm; 08-19-2021 at 07:18 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're not too good with electrical stuff our buddy at Danger Marine explains the theory on it all in this video.

Last edited by willyworm; 08-19-2021 at 07:21 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    If you're not too good with electrical stuff our buddy at Danger Marine explains the theory on it all in this video.

I watched that video a while back. He explains it all so it makes sense. I bought a new wiring harness from cmc that plugs into the plug off the cmc unit. It comes with all the relays, circuit breakers, and basically plug and play. I wired it to a trim switch and just held it in my hand. I took the bottom plate off of the tiller and saw that the connectors on the three wires coming from the trim switch on the end of the tiller, had these male/female type pin connectors. I'm gonna find some of those and put them on the 3 wires from the harness and plug them in and I think that will work.

2thDoc "because nothing matters till the games are played and clemson people have enjoyed success and know how to deal with it.

CP#96743

Cool. I can't warn enough, don't be surprised or disappointed when those cmc relays fail within a year or so. They truly are low quality. I started with them and luckily i realized it in the driveway one morning before heading out. That Yamaha style one I posted is sealed and will be ~$50 well spent.

Last edited by willyworm; 08-19-2021 at 07:51 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Cool. I can't warn enough, don't be surprised or disappointed when those cmc relays fail within a year or so. They truly are low quality. I started with them and luckily i realized it in the driveway one morning before heading out. That Yamaha style one I posted is sealed and will be ~$50 well spent.

Gotcha. I may go ahead and replace those now as opposed to later. Thanks!

CP#96743

May the force be with you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]