Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double conservation

Default Double conservation

Amount of protected land in SC to double, according to plan announced Tuesday

A plan to double the amount of land that is protected from development in South Carolina was announced during a press conference near Andrews Tuesday.
    Governor Henry McMaster was joined today by South Carolina Floodwater Commission Chairman Tom Mullikin, Senator Chip Campsen, Senator Ronnie Sabb, Andrews Mayor Frank McClary, and others at Cypress Reserve on the Black River.
    “Our prosperity stands on three legs education, the environment, and the economy. Each one supports the other,” remarked Governor Henry McMaster. “This is the time to preserve nature in South Carolina, but we’ve got to have it. We have an opportunity with this act to really move forward. Right now, there’s a greater appreciation for getting outside in parks and natural spaces.”
    The South Carolina Floodwater Commission published a 400-page report in 2019 and has begun to act on those recommendations to address the severe weather and flooding the state continues to experience each year.
    Floodwater Commission Chairman, Tom Mullikin states “South Carolina has experienced numerous episodes of flooding along the coast, rivers, and low-lying interior areas as results of rains, storms, hurricanes and tides that highlight the need for a state-wide plan to accommodate and mitigate flooding impacts in our state. The additional lands protected through the South Carolina Conservation and Antiquities Act will provide a firewall of natural support from flooding and protect some of the most fragile and beautiful lands for future generations.”
    Senator Campsen worked closely with business and conservation leaders to draft bill language which outlines measures for land protection. In addition to setting a goal to double the total acreage of protected land by 2050, the Conservation and Antiquities Act calls for a contribution of $.25 for each $1.30 collected through the state deed recording fee to the South Carolina Conservation Bank Trust Fund and dedicates a portion of sales tax revenue collected on the sale of outdoor recreational equipment to support deferred maintenance and land management needs on public lands managed by the SC Department of Natural Resources, SC Forestry Commission and SC State Parks.
    “Rapid land development in our state has led to the loss of forests and farms, wildlife habitats and recreational areas,” commented Senator Campsen. “This solution safeguards our drinking water, protects rural communities and economies, and provides opportunities for citizens and visitors to access open spaces and waterways. Without intentional action, we cannot guarantee these benefits for future generations.”
    Cypress Preserve on the Black River is in an area that has experienced significant momentum in land protection leading to a growing interest in nature-based tourism and an awareness of the role of protected land to mitigate flooding.
    “Our community has been fortunate to receive considerable support of local, state, and federal entities with an interest in improving the quality of life for residents,” commented Dr. Tiffany
    Wright. “We’re excited to see not only what the future holds for us along the Black River, but also for other rural communities who may now have similar opportunities.”
    The South Carolina Conservation and Antiquities Act will be introduced for consideration in the upcoming legislative session.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

"Without intentional action, we cannot guarantee these benefits for future generations.” - Agree with that

"The South Carolina Conservation and Antiquities Act will be introduced for consideration in the upcoming legislative session." - Long way to go until its on the books

You said conservation, they said preservation.

Which is it?

One indicates hunting and fishing access. The other does not.

I'm not "throwin' shade" as the cool kids say. Just asking for clarification.

preservation, as in you can look but not touch?

The conservation bank was almost dissolved by the house because some felt they were not allowing enough public benefit. I expect they willl remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    preservation, as in you can look but not touch?
    This seems to be standard protocol for the state these days.

"Let us use tax dollars to purchase this property and we will allow public access."

The devil is in the details.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Aldo Leopold should be required reading for anyone who thinks conservation efforts end well....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Tell me your plan?

I guess I just have to run for office. I've been told that's the only way.

But honestly, I dont pay that much attention any more. I just post sharp jabs to make people think I'm an ass so I can dove hunt with a select group of people that dont tend to annoy the ever-living shit out of me.

I guess my realistic pessimism shines through. Its all "feel good politics" to me. Grandstanding. "Education, the environment and the economy"! Sounds great, right??!?! I'm 50+ years old. I'm pretty sure most "conservation efforts" dont work out as planned.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

*I resisted posting Sally O'Malley

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

But honestly, I dont pay that much attention any more. I just post sharp jabs to make people think I'm an ass so I can dove hunt with a select group of people that dont tend to annoy the ever-living shit out of me.

I guess my realistic pessimism shines through. Its all "feel good politics" to me. Grandstanding. "Education, the environment and the economy"! Sounds great, right??!?! I'm 50+ years old. I'm pretty sure most "conservation efforts" dont work out as planned.
    Agree 100%

Great plan!

I have a dog.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Aldo Leopold should be required reading for anyone who thinks GOVERNMENT conservation efforts end well....
    FIFY
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

I'm pretty sure most "conservation efforts" dont work out as planned.
    The fact that you've killed and continue to have opportunity to kill ducks, deer and turkeys proves this statement false.

However I do agree it is getting more difficult to assess true goals of most labeled conservation efforts, especially from the government side. A lot of preservation is labeled as conservation to get us hunters to buy in when there is zero intent on us being able to have access; which is why I asked for clarification earlier and got a political statement in response.
    Last edited by Glenn; 08-12-2021 at 08:12 AM.

Sharp JABs. I like that...

90% of the communication toward me is sharp,,, and I love it.

I would be interested in a preservation/conservation plan that serves the majority interest in our state.

PS. Dont forget about bikers, hikers, pikers, 4 wheelers, bird watchers, boaters, floaters, ropers, hog and coon hunters, dog drivers, still hunters, turkey, dove, rabbit a cooners, fishermen, fisher women, fisher others, yankees, duck hunters, duck sky blasters, primitive weapons, beach goers, kayakers, ....

Nobody ever forgets about the non hunting public land users.

It's the 10% that do 90% of the funding that get kicked in the ditches.

It'd be awesome if we had someone to go to bat for us.
    Last edited by Glenn; 08-12-2021 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nobody ever forgets about the non hunting public land users.

It's the 10% that do 90% of the funding that get kicked in the ditches.

It'd be awesome if we had someone to go to bat for us.
    That's pretty sharp. Your new Cape Forge strop must have arrived.