Thread: Canada Bear Hunt

I've never been to Canada, and it looks like I'll be able to go on a spring bear hunt. What do I need to know about getting into and out of Canada (legally) with a rifle? We will be driving not flying so I don't need to worry about airlines. Passport, permits, or other must have things is the kind of information I would appreciate from some of you who have traveled...
    \"If you make men think that they are thinking... you will be loved. But if you truely make a man think... he will hate you\" Theodore Roosevelt

You need to go to:

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/online-en_.../default_e.asp

and obtain the CAFC 909 permit.

This will allow you to bring several firearms into Canada.

You are allowed 200 rounds of ammo but the airlines only allow 11 pounds per passenger. Should be more than enough to shoot a bear.

You will have to have a US passport to re-enter as of now so that will be sufficent for you to travel within Canada.

I also highly recommend that you go out to the US Customs office by the Columbia Airport and get them to register your rifle(s) before you go. There is no cost for this and it makes crossing back in much easier...

What province ya huntin.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

The guys that asked me to go says it will be Quebec. I don't have alot of the details yet, I just found out this morning.
    \"If you make men think that they are thinking... you will be loved. But if you truely make a man think... he will hate you\" Theodore Roosevelt

JAB's got it covered well.Don't worry if no one in Quebec understands what yer sayin. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Sounds like a blast, they quit Ontario's Spring Bear wackin in 2000 and the place has been covered up ever since.Only problem could be getting across the border with a DWI under your belt (if anyone has one ,not accusing)You hunting with an outfitter? Hope you have a blast.

Bugs might be rought then, what about their coat that time of year Harv? I killed one weighed about 600lbs in Sept of 86 in Sask. Firt day or two there, the bugzzz was terrible and I was ready to fly my ass back home to the swamps of SC!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Thanks for the information, it gives me a direction to go in.

Take your thermacell and bug spray,black flies and mosquitoes will be hungry.Should be some good & big speckled trout fishing then too.Hides shouldn't be too bad depending on how much rubbing they been doing. If you're flying you can't take them Thermacell butane cartridges,if that's the case let me know,if neccessary I could mail some to where you'll be staying.

Thanks for the help everbody.

gotta have a passport these days, too.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Only to get back home tooth but it would be handy both ways I imagine.

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including US citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or US Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document.
    As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including US citizens, traveling between the US and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), will be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security.
    All employees traveling on Company Business must have a valid passport from their resident country.
    For more detailed information on acceptable identification, please visit Travel.state.gov
    Breaking clays<br />makes my day,<br />but eating skeet<br />ain\'t no treat.