Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Bought a Bow

If somebody shoots at an animal with a bow and fails to kill it cleanly, the failure is 100x more likely due to poor shot placement than to broadhead performance. So my point is that it makes the most sense to choose the setup you can shoot most accurately.
    There are some ridiculous mechanicals with crazy blades and huge cutting diameters, but a 1.5” rear deploying mechanical will have no trouble with ribs and penetrating well. All these studies of penetration are interesting, but it’s a distraction from the real reason shots fail: arrow placement.

And that video showed poor arrow placement (too far back), a spray paint blood trail, and a dead deer. Not a broadhead failure in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Never understood the need for a mechanical if you know how to tune a bow. All this heavy arrow stuff isn’t new. A straight flying 2219 tipped with bear razorhead or Muzzy blew thru everything I shot with it since about 1984. I didn’t know or care why it worked it just did. Then we forgot everything we knew and started using overdraws, light arrows and shitty broadheads in a quest for speed. Then biws got harder to tune so they thought up mechanicals. Now everything old is new again. A heavier well tuned arrow tipped with a sharp broadhead that doesn’t fold up on contact kills shit. My advice is keep it simple.
    Ha! Spoken like someone that was shooting XX75s since about 1981 like me. These people talking about heavy arrows like they just invented air pffft.......
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Ranch Fairy is good stuff.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

It’s just a goat. Don’t hit the shoulder and stay out of the guts. That’s it

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    Ranch Fairy is good stuff.
    I’ve never heard of him but it sure don’t sound like a hunting channel

Default I Bought a Bow

Quote Originally Posted by tot View Post
    It’s just a goat. Don’t hit the shoulder and stay out of the guts. That’s it
    I shot a doe in the shoulder with a slick trick. Sounded like I hit a golf ball with a piece of bamboo.

Passed through. She made it 20 yards.

with a crossbow….
    Last edited by britton40; 08-03-2021 at 07:05 PM.

This is bow thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    This is bow thread.
    Hahahaha

Default I Bought a Bow

Amen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by led0321; 08-03-2021 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acebasinman View Post
    If somebody shoots at an animal with a bow and fails to kill it cleanly, the failure is 100x more likely due to poor shot placement than to broadhead performance. So my point is that it makes the most sense to choose the setup you can shoot most accurately.
    There are some ridiculous mechanicals with crazy blades and huge cutting diameters, but a 1.5” rear deploying mechanical will have no trouble with ribs and penetrating well. All these studies of penetration are interesting, but it’s a distraction from the real reason shots fail: arrow placement.

And that video showed poor arrow placement (too far back), a spray paint blood trail, and a dead deer. Not a broadhead failure in my mind.
    You can preach shot placement all you want, but the truth is your going to just be off sometimes. Give me the heavy arrow with a single bevel fixed blade broadhead and chances are I’m going to pass through on a shoulder shot. Good luck doing that with a mechanical. Mechanical broadheads are just an easy way to cover up a shitty tune. I have kids a family and a life but i still find time to spine align and tune all my arrows. It’s not that hard or time consuming. Also your comment about practice shooting instead of tuning, what do you think I’m doing while I’m tuning?

Strictly talking whitetail with the shoulders.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 08-03-2021 at 08:33 PM.

Bow hunters are as bad as Turkey hunters when this broad head argument comes up.

I said what I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Bow hunters are as bad as Turkey hunters when this broad head argument comes up.

I said what I said.
    You ain’t wrong
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I may be a little scarred when it comes to Broadhead tuning, what with all the cursing and bleeding I remember from my father doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by acebasinman View Post
    I may be a little scarred when it comes to Broadhead tuning, what with all the cursing and bleeding I remember from my father doing it.
    Bare shaft tune and spine align and broadhead tuning is all but nonexistent. Most corrections to bare shaft can be done just by nock tuning which is finding the spine correctly.

I ain’t got time for all that tuning, crazy stuff right now. I want to shoot the bow and get proficient with it in the few minutes a day I can spare right now. Have some fun shooting a foam deer or block with my son and wack some pigs if they come out.

I picked it up today and shot it some this evening. I’ll need to get a lot better before I kill deer with it. One group will be tight, one open a little, the next I’m not concentrating. I did learn shooting with progressive lenses is a bitch. Got to wear my single vision shooting glasses.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Muzzy trocar
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post

I said what I said.
    https://www.academy.com/shop/browse/...--camo-apparel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To go along with what Tater and Led said earlier about TV hunters: Those guys pump their fists and celebrate shots that would make me feel sick inside.

Salty, shooting groups can get expensive in nock and arrow replacement. Pick different spots on the block to shoot, kind sir.

I chose Muzzy fixed heads as an economy purchase and have found no reason to switch.

I dont tune bows, weigh arrows, try out new shit, or care.

but i shoot a three blade muzzy and have forever. It works and continues to work.

Hope this helps.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Why does everyone think people shoot mech because they don't want to tune their bow?