Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I Bought a Bow

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    What draw length and weight you shooting?
    27” and 60-70#, closer to 60 I think since my shoulder has a tendency to get bursitis.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

This year I’ll be shooting Black Eagle Spartans tipped with Grim Reaper micro hades pro heads.

Never understood the need for a mechanical if you know how to tune a bow. All this heavy arrow stuff isn’t new. A straight flying 2219 tipped with bear razorhead or Muzzy blew thru everything I shot with it since about 1984. I didn’t know or care why it worked it just did. Then we forgot everything we knew and started using overdraws, light arrows and shitty broadheads in a quest for speed. Then biws got harder to tune so they thought up mechanicals. Now everything old is new again. A heavier well tuned arrow tipped with a sharp broadhead that doesn’t fold up on contact kills shit. My advice is keep it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Never understood the need for a mechanical if you know how to tune a bow. All this heavy arrow stuff isn’t new. A straight flying 2219 tipped with bear razorhead or Muzzy blew thru everything I shot with it since about 1984. I didn’t know or care why it worked it just did. Then we forgot everything we knew and started using overdraws, light arrows and shitty broadheads in a quest for speed. Then biws got harder to tune so they thought up mechanicals. Now everything old is new again. A heavier well tuned arrow tipped with a sharp broadhead that doesn’t fold up on contact kills shit. My advice is keep it simple.
    This is beautiful and accurate. Well said.

I recognize everybody it's not popular to recommend mechanical broadheads. But I think you have to admit two facts. Super low profile mechanical broadheads shoot more accurately then fixed wing broadheads. And a modern mechanical in the lungs it lights out, period. We may not be the best elk hunters and we hunt pressured bulls on public land. We've killed more bulls at 50yds and out than under 40 yards, so I say shoot the set up you're most confident in at the range you need to be prepared for. That may be different for different hunters and conditions. A well tuned bow is critical, but at 60-80 yards, fixed wings are unlikely to group as tight as mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    This is beautiful and accurate. Well said.
    Do you even throw an ax through an animal, Bro?
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Dr. Ashby. He's awesome and his research is incredible. Been shooting heavy before heavy was cool. The fairy dude is just parroting a lot of Dr. Ashby's work.

Shaving sharp cut on contact head on the front of a heavy arrow. Tie half a chicken to the back and let it fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    These two go together well. Ranch Fairy works closely with Dr. Ashby and gives him credit over and over. In fact, he (Troy Fowler) is an Ambassador for the Ashby Bowhunting Foundation. Where the two tie together is today’s generation has to have someone like “Ranch Fairy” for them to buy in. Sad, but hey, whatever works.

If you can tolerate the nonsensical there’s a wealth of serious information being doled out on his YT (see how I did that? Old guy/new tricks……The YT, bitches) channel.

“IF A BOWHUNTER MAKES A KILL WITH 4 INCHES OF PENETRATION AND THEY ARE FINE WITH IT, I’M ASKING, WHY DID THIS HAPPEN? I GET WORRIED AND UPSET UNLESS I SEE MY FLETCHING DISAPPEAR.”

- Rob Neilson, President, Ashby Bowhunting Foundation.

I agree with Rob.

Start watching at 4:38. A rib shot and only an entrance wound. That is why mechanical heads suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by acebasinman View Post
    I recognize everybody it's not popular to recommend mechanical broadheads. But I think you have to admit two facts. Super low profile mechanical broadheads shoot more accurately then fixed wing broadheads. And a modern mechanical in the lungs it lights out, period. We may not be the best elk hunters and we hunt pressured bulls on public land. We've killed more bulls at 50yds and out than under 40 yards, so I say shoot the set up you're most confident in at the range you need to be prepared for. That may be different for different hunters and conditions. A well tuned bow is critical, but at 60-80 yards, fixed wings are unlikely to group as tight as mechanical.
    Your success is hard to argue with but, the newer fixed heads CNC machined from a piece of tool steel are easy to tune on the right arrow and very accurate. I also don’t shoot as far. I killled a big Iowa deer at 51 yards and my arrow punched through him. Everything else I’ve killed has been much closer. For me, having moving parts on the piece that takes the brunt of the impact , that I’m depending on to kill the animal, seems like a bad idea. Again it works for you, but it’s not for me.

Heavy arrows with grim reaper whitetail specials.

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    Start watching at 4:38. A rib shot and only an entrance wound. That is why mechanical heads suck.

And in the guts. "flies like a field point."

They have to “fly like like field points” because the margin for error is so much tighter when you have to avoid the true boiler room at all costs while staying forward of, and praying you are between two of, the ribs.

And I’m pretty sure it’s a requirement to say “smoked him!” After you “center punch” one in the first 4” of the guts with a mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by tot View Post
    Heavy arrows with grim reaper whitetail specials.
    Tot has a point.

If your gonna shoot a big mechanical screw that sucker onto a heavy arrow that will push it through. I’m shooting the 1 3/4” Wasp Jackhammers on a 502 grain arrow this year for mule deer and antelope. I’ll be shooting Iron Will Wides again this year for whitetails and they fly like darts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    And I’m pretty sure it’s a requirement to say “smoked him!” After you “center punch” one in the first 4” of the guts with a mechanical.
    And then back out and call 6 people, after licking the arrow to determine it was guts.

The old quartered to shot. 40% of the time it works all the time. What a ball bag

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Fixed blade. Montec or slicktrick. Kiss
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    27” and 60-70#, closer to 60 I think since my shoulder has a tendency to get bursitis.
    I’d keep it under 500gr for sure and probably 450 total arrow weight
    80-20 Genaration