Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Bought a Bow

Default I Bought a Bow

So, I got the boy that Mission Switch in the TP and decided that I wanted another bow. We have a unique little place to hunt close to home that has some great bow hunting spots with a lot of deer and hogs. I bought a Mathews 27" V3 after shooting 7-8 different bows from Hyot, Elite, Bowtech and Matthews. At first I didn't like the Mathews on the draw, I really favored the Elite Kure but didn't care for the vibration on the shot, the Mathews was zero vibration and the more I shot it the more I liked it. I liked the compactness of the bow as well.

In the past, I had always shot a fixed blade head but I think I'm leaning towards a mechanical this time. I'm no bowhunter or haven't been, my patience has been about the span of a 2yo but I want to give it another try plus shooting with my son. What are y'all using for mechanicals or is that just a bad choice and I should stay with the fixed.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Grim Reaper, watch em drop

Mechanicals and hogs don’t mix well. Go to YouTube and search “ranch fairy”.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I have never bow hunted or owned a bow. I've been listening to the most recent Meat Eater podcast off and on over the last day and the guy they have on there gets deep into the science of bowhunting. May be worth checking out.

125gr fixed blade and a heavy front loaded arrow
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    125gr fixed blade and a heavy front loaded arrow

Nothing has changed since 2009.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

What Gut Pile and trkykilr said. Ranch Fairy on youtube is a wealth of information but try not to get sucked down the rabbit hole. Slick Trick Magnums, Magnus Black Hornets and QAD Exodux are my favorite production style heads. Pick whichever arrow shaft you like and screw a brass insert in it with a 125 grain head and go shoot stuff.

Hypodermic

Not sure how big or old your son is but I was getting complete pass throughs on deer with a 32 pound bow and 24" draw length when I was a kid. A magnus stinger would be a great broadhead for him if/when he's ready to start hunting with it.

Back when I bowhunted, I never had a fixed blade broadhead fail to open.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbdog View Post
    I have never bow hunted or owned a bow. I've been listening to the most recent Meat Eater podcast off and on over the last day and the guy they have on there gets deep into the science of bowhunting. May be worth checking out.
    Dr. Ashby. He's awesome and his research is incredible. Been shooting heavy before heavy was cool. The fairy dude is just parroting a lot of Dr. Ashby's work.

Shaving sharp cut on contact head on the front of a heavy arrow. Tie half a chicken to the back and let it fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Not sure how big or old your son is but I was getting complete pass throughs on deer with a 32 pound bow and 24" draw length when I was a kid. A magnus stinger would be a great broadhead for him if/when he's ready to start hunting with it.
    Solid choice.

Glad to hear y’all got some arrow slingers, Mark. I’d also recommend leaning towards a fixed blade FOC setup. I don’t get too crazy with mine—-250 spine with 225 total up front. Hogs and flappers don’t mix well but a 125 gr. single bevel will put a hurting on em.
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

Any broadhead is scary deadly if you hit where you're supposed to. You are more likely to hit where you're aiming shooting a mechanical that flies exactly the same as your field points. "Tuning" broadheads is for people without jobs or kids, tedious and time consuming at best. Rear deploying mechanical broadheads penetrate plenty good. The pivoting blade on the SEVR broadhead reduces the effect of clipping bone or a rib. I have been shooting SEVRs for years and don't even screw them on till it's time to hunt. They fly the same as fieldpoints, and they penetrate and kill. Keep it simple. Spend your time shooting, not tuning. I've walked up on 15 bull elk killed with mechanicals and my partner drilled one at 82 yards with a hypodermic. It's more important to be confident in your shot placement than the "performance" of your broadhead.

You should be shooting a well tuned bow regardless of if your shooting a mechanical or a fixed blade. Broadhead tuning a bow incredibly simple to do.

Congrats on the purchase. As much as you like a quality glass or a handloaded rifle round-I think you will enjoy a well tuned bow.

The worst reason in the world to buy a mechanical head is "because I didn't have time to tune my bow".

Shoot a fixed blade, exit hole pics are more important than "axe wound" entry hole pics.
    Last edited by led0321; 08-03-2021 at 02:22 PM.

As Coastal Woodie said a well tuned bow is important. Just because it shoots field points dead on doesn’t mean it’s going to do the same with broadheads. About 14% doc is a good place to be but you don’t need a damn 6-700 grain arrow either. Best thing to do is go to a pro shop and get some help
    80-20 Genaration

What draw length and weight you shooting?
    80-20 Genaration