Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Captains License

Default Captains License

Who here has done it?

Assuming my reading comprehension and abilities to retain what I study are up to par, how tough is the material?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Have my 6 pack. Rule of the road you will need to know inside and out. A lot of hoops to jump through before its all said and done but not too bad.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

I’m hoping SeaSchool in Charleston will open back up soon.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Rules of the Road and plotting have no room for error. Neither does the wiz quiz...

I did mine out of the classroom, on my own through an online study program. A lot of the material was pretty simple, rules of the road can get intricate and memorization is your friend. Plotting was a bit of a pain.

Toughest part was medical as It went well beyond a basic physical. That and doing all paperwork myself for submission.

Wasn’t bad. The drug test consortium may be an issue for some
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Super simple thru seaschool. The instructor basically taught us the test. Rules of the road was tricky, nav wasnt bad if you paid attention, but if you were off just a bit in your slide ruler you could end up with an answer that was really close.to another answer. Physical was a joke, guy asked me how I was doing, asked me to read a letter on the board, took my bp and said it was a little high but was ok. CPR was even worse. We had a smoking hot young instructor who bent over in front of a rook of guys and performed CPR on a dummy. CPR may have lasted 30 minutes. I need to renee mine this month. Getting twic card was easy, pea test not an issue as I am a gov employee and we get tested all the time. This was t years ago.
    Fast forward to present day, buddy just did it and it whipped his ass. CPR was an 8 hour class with a test at the end. You fail that you take it again at a later date. They caught a guy cheating on the test, they have cameras in the classroom and walked his ass out.
    every expert was once a beginner

Pretty easy material but it’s painful to sit through. I stopped at the gas station and got small bottles of OJ, dumped half out, refilled it with vodka. Made it MUCH more bearable. Plotting tripped a lot of people up but if you have ever done any sort of land nav it’s very very simple. Rules of the road was tricky. I had to study
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

What’s the end game for y’all doing this?

being able to post on this thread like a know-it-all
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtroy4man View Post
    Super simple thru seaschool. The instructor basically taught us the test. Rules of the road was tricky, nav wasnt bad if you paid attention, but if you were off just a bit in your slide ruler you could end up with an answer that was really close.to another answer. Physical was a joke, guy asked me how I was doing, asked me to read a letter on the board, took my bp and said it was a little high but was ok. CPR was even worse. We had a smoking hot young instructor who bent over in front of a rook of guys and performed CPR on a dummy. CPR may have lasted 30 minutes. I need to renee mine this month. Getting twic card was easy, pea test not an issue as I am a gov employee and we get tested all the time. This was t years ago.
    Fast forward to present day, buddy just did it and it whipped his ass. CPR was an 8 hour class with a test at the end. You fail that you take it again at a later date. They caught a guy cheating on the test, they have cameras in the classroom and walked his ass out.
    Is that 30 minutes of CPR how long they had to work on you after seeing the hot instructor bending over?

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    being able to post on this thread like a know-it-all
    Being able to take you king fishing, you offshore fishing SOB.

yeah, I had to help a buddy with the navigation part last year. I haven't felt the need to charge people for an experience with me yet..

I took the class from Capt. Zook back in the early 90’s. I think it was 93 when I got my OUPV. We had to do it the hard way and test at the Coast Guard Station where we faced a possible 40,000 randomly generated questions on Rules of the Road. That shit was a show stopper. Sea School takes those 40,000 possible questions and compresses it into 300 possible questions. They’ll give you a hand out with the questions you’ll be tested on. There are 30 questions on the test. When I upgraded my license I went to Sea School. I made 100% on the Rules test. If you’ll study the hand out, you’ll pass Rules. Sea School is a guaranteed pass for everyone who is paying attention. In my opinion, they make it too easy.

The plotting is also easy if you can do math. Speed, time, distance. If you don’t understand this clearly from the outset, go to the instructor, ask questions, and then practice it until you’ve got it wired.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Being able to take you king fishing, you offshore fishing SOB.
    got jorts
    will travel

I've been wanting to get it too. So, as a retirement job, I can take bird watchers out to some of the sea islands...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

oh, and, I want to add Captain as a prefix to my work emails...

150px-Captainlogo_2005.PNG

make sure you get a cape, too!
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 05-13-2020 at 08:41 AM.

150px-Captainlogo_2005.PNG

make sure you get a cape, too!
    I've already got some - ever since The Empire Strikes Back...

got jorts
    will travel
    King fish don’t bite unless you have a gold chain, winners have the matching watch.