Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Those in hunt clubs, how do you plant food plots?

We have workdays and there are some of us who are always doing something at the club. I swear one fella takes his frustrations out on Mother Earth with our tractor. Other folks show up on called workdays, get lunch and are gone.

But then, we have one dad and his boys who have become right proficient at putting stands together. I called them Friday and they were there that weekend. Four new stands ready to go.

And then we have friends who just want to help. Something about getting out of the house.

Anyway, our work gets done. We have a good time.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

We are more of a social club than a hunt club.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    Never been in a club where stands were shared on a first come first served basis.
    Ours are. We have a remote sign in system because we are so spread out. Multiple entries so as not to disturb other hunters. You can sign in as much as one hour before you get in the stand. Works well.

For those interested, it is called Virtual Sign In Board. Something like an annual fee of $8/person.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    We are more of a social club than a hunt club.
    Yes.

We have 5 people that keep up roads from washouts/plant food plots. The other 35 people cut limbs and everything else that has to be done.

We do 4 workdays 100.00 per workday missed paid in full before participating in hunting activities.

We have shift workers as well so if they can't make workday we give them list of things to be done to make up for workday.

What I’ve learned from being in clubs is lease as much land with as few a people as you can afford.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

We have scheduled workdays as well. Each member must make 2 per year or pay $75/day. We have 19 different tracts totaling almost 6,000 acres. First come first serve. There is a drawing each morning at 5:30. I’ve hunted there my entire life (36) and I don’t believe I’ve seen more than 5 drawings take place. 4 of those 5 were probably opening day of turkey season. Food plot planting is not done on workdays due to some wanting to plant and others that do not. There is plenty of “keeping up” to be done on the scheduled days. Again, all you can do is put forth your best effort for the wildlife and habitat then let the chips fall where they may.

With my schedule I sometimes couldn’t make workdays, but I told the club prez ahead of time & I told him I would come up when I’m home with my boys & would do anything needed. We’d weedeat, trim limbs, burlap stands or anything else. Never had an issue but their are some who just aren’t coming & are the first to bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    The reason I got out of clubs

ONE of the reasons I did same

Club I was in for 25 yrs was same way, we had “club work days” and a $100 fine if you did not participate but those that never helped would just pay the 100. Plus THEY would be the ones that would ride a damn ATV right through the middle of a nice green food plot, they had no freaking clue what it took to do these things. One dumbass, a MD on top of that, looked funny one day when one of the other members chewed his ass for riding through food plot. He actually thought the timber company did all this for us, needless to say we sent him packing

Finally got to point where 3-4 of us just did our spots and naturally we would plant the “club spots” because if we did not they would not get planted.

About like anything else if you want it done right you got to do it yourself

Me and one other guy hunt together now plus both of us have a couple other places we hunt solo Works out great, still hear old club (some of my best friends and guys that will carry my casket one day) bitch about all the work they do for others at old club

IF I had to be back in a “club” again I would probably just hang up deer hunting to be honest

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Meh- divide up into personal zones. You bushhog plant and maintain your zone
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

We offer personal stand zones if member pays extra. All other stands are club stands. First come first serve on club stands.

Like I stated earlier in thread we only have select group that does planting and they aren't required to make other work days but more times than not they participate in those as well.

(Some people are only good for cutting/toting limbs.). We have also invested in limb cutters and brush cutters that mount to front end loader on tractor and that makes work days more successful as well.

The best thing is not just take anyone as a member just because their money is green. If you aren't recommended by a club member you don't get opportunity.

I don't know. The ones who have money and don't hunt much are welcome to give me a shout
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    I don't know. The ones who have money and don't hunt much are welcome to give me a shout
    To me those are the best ones. Hunt less than 5 times a year and never hear anything from them. The worst ones are the guys that are constantly in and out the club disturbing the deer, killing more than their share of deer because they hunt 6 days a week, fuss at anyone who can’t basically live at the club and work, etc.

After years of being the Chief, Head work force, Equipment supplier and Banker for hunt clubs of up to 25 members, I got to experience all the horror stories.

And I came to the necessary conclusion...

That the ideal hunt club membership was 1...

But now my hunt club has 3 members, me and my 2 sons.

We’ve been a club since 52’ and have started working the Saturday after the 4th of July almost since then..

We maintain 14.4 miles of fence and plant close to 40 acres of food plots..

This year we streamlined 18 bags of Aeschynomene and will pick 6-7 acres to plant in a durana rotation, adding about that much every year, until we have high quality food plots 365 days a year..

3/4s of our members have tractors and we bushhog roads on 6500 acres in 2 weekends..

You have to create a place people want to buy into.. A club is only good as the people you allow to join..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Strike View Post
    After years of being the Chief, Head work force, Equipment supplier and Banker for hunt clubs of up to 25 members, I got to experience all the horror stories.

You sound like me , only difference is my son does not hunt

Sounds like y’all have it figured out Pbiz. Most clubs let a few members ruin it for the rest of the club. It’s just like bad companies who refuse to fire the worst employees. Kills moral and drive. I don’t care if a guys grandpa was the club president for 40 years, if he sucks and pisses everyone off he needs to find a new place to hunt

But with all the bitchy whining, I can see why still hunters don’t like dog hunters, they don’t even like themselves..

Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Strike View Post

You sound like me , only difference is my son does not hunt

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    We have scheduled workdays as well. Each member must make 2 per year or pay $75/day. We have 19 different tracts totaling almost 6,000 acres. First come first serve. There is a drawing each morning at 5:30. I’ve hunted there my entire life (36) and I don’t believe I’ve seen more than 5 drawings take place. 4 of those 5 were probably opening day of turkey season. Food plot planting is not done on workdays due to some wanting to plant and others that do not. There is plenty of “keeping up” to be done on the scheduled days. Again, all you can do is put forth your best effort for the wildlife and habitat then let the chips fall where they may.

6000 acres? Good lord. What part of the state are y’all in
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.