Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UofSC just imposed mask mandate

The USC Board dod not vote on the mask mandate. Dr Pastides did it himself. The legislature has a one year proviso preventing masks and vaccine mandates.

The Atty General will give an opinion Monday if he believes the legislature worded the proviso good enough to prevent higher ed from doing this. It most certainly was our intent.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Just FYI, If a student attends a private school they get the funds from the public school on per student base cost
    Huh? We don't have vouchers here although we should.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Huh? We don't have vouchers here although we should.
    I can't recall the complete legislation (if it was even that), but it was something to do with covid and I believe it was only for some select "under privilege" children but I do remember private schools getting public money to enroll kids that couldn't afford it.

Quick gooooooogle found this....

https://www.sc.edu/uofsc/posts/2020/...p#.YQaFhI5Ki70

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    I can't recall the complete legislation (if it was even that), but it was something to do with covid and I believe it was only for some select "under privilege" children but I do remember private schools getting public money to enroll kids that couldn't afford it.

This got shut down in SC, mainly by those in failing school districts against school choice, suing McMaster of the use of these funds. SC Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional to use public monies for private schools.

https://www.wistv.com/2020/10/07/sc-...ivate-schools/
    Last edited by MDman; 08-01-2021 at 06:47 AM.
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

Quote Originally Posted by MDman View Post
    This got shut down in SC, mainly by those in failing school districts against school choice, suing McMaster of the use of these funds. SC Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional to use public monies for private schools.

https://www.wistv.com/2020/10/07/sc-...ivate-schools/
    ah...

10-4

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post

Admittedly I didnt read the articles (I will later when I get home), but I remember when that idea was floated. My kid goes to Pinewood and the parents threw a fit when that was announced and nobody that works there would really say too much about it, but the ones I spoke with "off the record" were not pleased about that possibility either.

Our headmaster sent out an email a few weeks ago saying there would be no mask mandate unless required by law. Of course that could happen, but it won't be bc of the schools decision, and I appreciate that. He has kids that are students there, so he does have a very vested interest beyond his role at the school.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

“The Orangeburg County School District, SCEA, and several others filed suit to stop the grant program. They believe giving public money to private education is unconstitutional.“

Directly from that article, what’s criminal is taxation without representation. I pay taxes to fund schools that aren’t fit for my child to attend.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    I pay taxes to fund schools that aren’t fit for my child to attend.
    We all do brutha. We all do
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    “The Orangeburg County School District, SCEA, and several others filed suit to stop the grant program. They believe giving public money to private education is unconstitutional.“

Directly from that article, what’s criminal is taxation without representation. I pay taxes to fund schools that aren’t fit for my child to attend.
    It’s been going on a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    They won’t but the teachers will “call out” in protest. And we’ll be back to Groundhog Day
    Yeah! No joke, Charlie! And millions of folks are still being brainwashed. What the heck?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    The USC Board dod not vote on the mask mandate. Dr Pastides did it himself. The legislature has a one year proviso preventing masks and vaccine mandates.

The Atty General will give an opinion Monday if he believes the legislature worded the proviso good enough to prevent higher ed from doing this. It most certainly was our intent.

I was thinking there was a mandate where they could not do this but read something stating K-12 only

Stupid call by an Interim President of USuC if you ask me

We passed a one year proviso preventing schools from requiring vaccines or masks.

The Attorney General agreed with us. USC will reverse, from what I hear.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.