Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pretty cool find

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    And yes I plan on covering it and also have let the timber cruiser know. I plan on saddle hunting there this year and don't want to fall in
    You gonna saddle a Clydesdale?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    You gonna saddle a Clydesdale?
    Took long enough. I thought y'all were getting slack around here
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    We had to lower the wench cable down with my dad on the end one time when I was a boy to retrieve one of our pointers.
    Yep, My dad and uncle did the same thing to save my grandpa's lab one year on a dove hunt. I was approx 10 years old at the time. Just had to stand back and watch. didn't realize how dangerous that crap was till few years don the road!!

Found this just today while clearing a lot on my development hidden way back in the woods...Was surely known by someone, but was not advised of it's existence by previous owner...Unprotected and at least 30' to the water...Would have made for a bad day to fall into that.

Resized_20210729_141806_20210729_174447.jpg

Think about the folks that dug wells like this. Amazing work in my opinion.

Can you imagine having to dig that by hand and building the walls from rocks……dang it son
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

I may have been the only one wondering how they dug these wells but I did a little digging online and found this.

Pretty interesting

Here's how it was done (at least in his case), in case you're interested: You get a large cast-iron ring manufactured for this purpose, and set it on the ground where you want the well to be located. I don't see why this ring could not also have been made of stone, or even wood, but it was cast iron in this particular case.

Then, you begin digging out the center of the ring, gradually undermining it. As it sinks, you start building the brick lining on top of the ring, ABOVE ground. You keep this up, and the lining sinks under its own weight as you dig, sliding into the ground. Soon, you have one person digging at the bottom... and another up top, adding the bricks and emptying the buckets of dirt. Eventually the water starts coming in, and you keep digging until you can't continue. He said that the farmers typically waited until until the dry season - the dryer the better... that way, they could be sure that they would have water year round. If they were then hit with a long-term drought, they could use the opportunity to dig existing wells even deeper, by simply starting up the process again - send one person down the hole to dig, and have another up top adding bricks. Cool huh?
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Back when men were men for sure

Their asses were cold too.

Probably from Mississippi too.