Thread: Reaping what we have sown

Default Reaping what we have sown

Enjoy that $10 head of lettuce. These idiots are going to break us by any means necessary...

Forced to reckon with a worsening drought, California’s water regulators are preparing to forbid thousands of farmers from tapping into the state’s major rivers and streams. It’s an extraordinary step — and one that regulators didn’t take during the last drought, which was considered one of the worst on record. The State Water Resources Control Board on Friday released an “emergency curtailment” order that would cut thousands off from rivers and streams in the Sacramento and San Joaquin river watersheds. The five-person board still has to vote on the order Aug. 3, and it would take effect about two weeks later.

“We don’t take this action lightly; we know that it’s going to impose hardships on folks,” she said. Exceptions will be made for drinking water and other human needs. “We’re trying to protect drinking water supplies; we’re trying to protect endangered fish in the system,” she said. State officials have warned that most winter-run Chinook salmon could die in the Sacramento River this year. Most farmers who rely on the State Water Project or the federal Central Valley Project are already struggling with dramatically reduced allocations. The proposed order released Friday covers those thousands of farmers with direct legal rights to pull water out of the rivers.

Karen Ross, secretary of state Department of Food and Agriculture, said the cutoff would further weaken farmers’ and ranchers’ ability to produce this year, but she called the move “absolutely necessary” in light of the severity of the drought. Environmentalists have been urging the state to act quickly, saying more water needs to be kept in the system to prop up ailing fish species. As far back as March, the state water board began warning farmers that supplies were drying up. Formal “notices of water unavailability” were sent out in mid-June — a precursor to the proposed order released Friday.

During the last drought, the board did issue some curtailment orders to limited groups of farmers — and got sued. The courts ruled that the growers weren’t given due process to protest the moves. So this time the board is moving more deliberately. “It’s not something that we could do any more quickly,” Sobeck said.
    https://news.yahoo.com/california-mo...CYMs6Bszwmh6Ah

Almond trees wont get thirsty though.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Almond trees wont get thirsty though.
    A gallon per nut if I remember correctly.

Yep.

Cant kill those trees bro.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I know some California Almond growers who have pushed trees already and will push more before the end of the year.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    I know some California Almond growers who have pushed trees already and will push more before the end of the year.
    Define push. As in pushed down?

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Enjoy that $10 head of lettuce. These idiots are going to break us by any means necessary...

https://news.yahoo.com/california-mo...CYMs6Bszwmh6Ah

Are they supposed to do? A rain dance?

California’s water was all developed for agriculture, it has been hijacked by virtually unchecked population growth. A green lawn and a golf course are far more important than food….
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    Are they supposed to do? A rain dance?
    That yellow liquid running down the backs of farmers isn't rain my friend...

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    California’s water was all developed for agriculture, it has been hijacked by virtually unchecked population growth. A green lawn and a golf course are far more important than food….
    Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Define push. As in pushed down?
    Correct. The guys I am in an AG group with have taken out quite a few acres. They will wait and see what will happen as to water rights / usage allowances before they decide what to replant. ( if anything) The more logical option will be to sell to residential developers and go retire to Hawaii ...
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Guys out there with the mulching machines are going to be busy. No push/ pile/ burn out there of course. Burning is frowned upon for the obvious reason.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    No doubt about it.

CA should have been forced to build desalinization plants decades ago, just like they use around the ME, etc.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    No doubt about it.

CA should have been forced to build desalinization plants decades ago, just like they use around the ME, etc.
    I’ve worked on a few of these in the Caribbean. Incredibly inefficient. It takes a ton of electricity to end up with a shitload of really salty water and a little fresh water. I doubt CA s environmental laws would allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I’ve worked on a few of these in the Caribbean. Incredibly inefficient. It takes a ton of electricity to end up with a shitload of really salty water and a little fresh water. I doubt CA s environmental laws would allow it.
    Interesting. I would think that with today's technology the process would be greatly improved.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'