Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guilty

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    Life in prison is the worst punishment ever. Yes you’re taking away a persons freedom but they all adjust after a few years and get 3 hot meals a day, healthcare, decent living conditions, the ability to make pocket money, and recreational activities. Plus we have to pay for all of this. I’d say anything over 5-10 years in prison should be the death penalty or let go. No point in putting someone in prison for 50 years.
    I agree if someone is so bad they need to be incarcerated for longer than 10 years just kill them. But if you think most people just adjust to prison you would be wrong. Prison will harden your heart but that’s not adjusting that’s called survival.

Defending the despised is a lonely, thankless, and supremely noble undertaking. It keeps all of us free, whether you appreciate it or not. Those "technicalities" are the rules that keep government from steamrolling those whom it decides need to be destroyed, from Capitol Hill rioters to serial killers. Would you prefer Chinese style justice?

I agree that everyone is entitled to representation. In this case he pleaded not guilty. If a lawyer takes the case then after reviewing more of the evidence, actually thinks the accused is guilty, does the lawyer recuse themselves or continue to represent?

In this case the evidence was pretty overwhelming. It would be hard for one to be objective. Public defenders def have a hard job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    The one thing that stood out to me in this case, was that there was none of his DNA found on her. How are you going to stab someone over 100 times with a Leatherman tool, and not break a sweat? For that much close contact to her, and none of his DNA be on her, is very odd.

I know he was painted as someone out looking for victims to prey on, but for someone to not have much of a criminal background, it doesn’t make sense. Samantha Josephine had been drinking that night, tried to get in the wrong car more than once. What if when he stopped, she got in, realized that this guy wasn’t her Uber, tried to get back out, child door locks were on, because his girlfriend at the time had a child who rode in the car, Samantha panicked, began to attack him, he tried to defend himself from her, and it escalated into what happened. He panicked too realizing what just happened, and killed her to keep her from talking and him getting into trouble. Very seriously doubt he went out that night with intentions of killing someone with a multi tool.

I say this because I used to know a girl who was in a similar situation. She was at a party, was intoxicated, went into a bedroom, guy was intoxicated and was in the bedroom too, guy’s girlfriend was in the bathroom. The guy rushed her, put his hand over her mouth, not wanting her to panic and scream or make a noise, for fear his girlfriend would hear it and think he was sneaking a girl into the bedroom. Before he could get his other hand on the door knob to open the door and get her out, she was punching and kicking him for all she was worth. She stayed on him punching and kicking even back out into the hallway. Cops weren’t called, but it was intoxicated panic on display.

A life was lost and many lives forever changed in this case. We’ll never know the whole story, here, but know enough to know that Samantha Josephine’s family has some justice.

I think I heard there was something like 120+ stab wounds…..kinda hard to say it was just an accident. I agree that there was probably more than one person involved but that many wounds it isn’t she attacked him and he defended himself by stabbing her that much

If a client says "yeah, I did it, but I need you to get me off",
    (which virtually never happens), you can take the case, but may not put him on the stand and assist him in telling his lie. But if he insists on his innocence, no matter how implausible, you must vigorously present the defense. For where do you draw the line, and who decides, at which point, a defendant doesn't deserve to have his defense presented? SC Duckers? Nancy Pelosi?

cant we just all agree to continue to make fun of lawyers?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    cant we just all agree to continue to make fun of lawyers?
    yeah. leave the not real doctors alone for a while.

many who start on the public defender side quit and move to criminal defense. That's where the money is.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    So your solution would be for us to just execute or imprison for life anyone the government accuses of???
    Of course not. When the evidence comes out like it did in this case; he had her dna under his finger nails, the murder weapon was found, her blood was all over his car, etc, etc. When you have hard evidence like that, then yes, take his ass out of the court room and execute him. He deserves worst than what he did to Samantha Josephson. I know it doesn't work like that but it should.